Advice to Republicans

First of all, let me begin by saying I am a "Fox News Liberal." While I am certainly a loyal Democrat, I also have high respect for the Grand Old Party. I have regularly attended conservative conferences and seminars, including the famous CPAC. I believe the modern United States benefits from the historical achievements of many dedicated Republicans, from Abraham Lincoln to George Bush, Sr.

However, the fact is, Republicans lost in this midterm election because their leadership performance was so dissatisfactory to American voters. Rather then being the party of "constructive conservatism," the Republican Party has tragically become the party of "corrupt, crony conservatism." After two years of unified Republican government, few Americans actually reap the benefits of conservatism. The War on Terror goes on without an end, squandering the nation's budget. Federal spending has increased, illegal immigration has not been solved and even the rate of abortion has hardly dropped under the so-called pro-life government. Adding the Foley and Abramoff scandals, it's truly hard to see how even conservatives can look at the Republican performance today with pride. After this election disaster, it just might be a right time for the Republicans to do some deep soul-searching as they evaluate whether they truly lived up to their own principles.

The United States will always need a steadfast conservative party to balance out its liberal counterpart. Whenever Democrats seem to fail in managing this country, the Republicans have taken the call of the people to reform the government. Promising to address values overlooked by the liberals, such as taxes and security, the Republican Party stood up several times in history as the party that represents average American values. However, today it is the Republicans who are being criticized for being out of touch with American voters. Rather than getting a small, upright, internationally respected government, many Americans feel Republicans gave them instead a big, bureaucratic, internationally belligerent government that is intrusive, yet shows inadequacy in providing good public services. Needless to say, liberal voters were outraged and voted accordingly, but even many conservative voters were shocked to see how their principles were so badly delivered (or undelivered) by their representatives.

So what now for the Republican party? Conservatism is not any more a liability for Republicans than liberalism is for the Democrats. The problem is how the party agenda is promoted and perceived by the public. Currently, many voters are suspicious that the GOP stands only for several wedge issues that benefit its key party allies (corporations, churches, the NRA, etc.). The Republican Party should broaden its definition of conservatism and address the issues normally considered liberal, like health care and the environment. The Republicans should avoid being labeled ideologues and come back as "common sense conservatives," engaging in flexibility and pragmatics to handle diverse, even complex, national issues. No doubt the Republicans will still hold on to their vision for a conservative America, but perhaps if Republicans answer the basic needs of the American voters first, then the voters would be more willing to listen to what other agendas the Republican Party has to offer.

A political party may chose to be conservative or liberal. But it would be a folly for any party to not stand for reform. Republicans were elected to power because they promised to correct the flaws in the government and make it more efficient. Unfortunately, today Republicans are criticized as a party that holds on to status quo and fixed ideology. As the 2008 presidential election approaches, both parties would be asked for their plans to be good stewards of the government.

If Republicans appear to voters as weak or too ideologically narrow-sighted, then they will lose the next election. However, Republicans can instead "triangulate" their message and artfully present a reformed conservatism, standing firm to the fundamental Republican values but promoting new approaches to various political issues. John McCain and Mark Huccabee are among those who stoutly stand for conservatism that serves the best interest of the broad majority of Americans.

As I look forward to my own party truly living up to its reputation as the "Party of the People," I also look forward to the revival of moral integrity and compassionate justice in the Republican Party.

Jong Eun Lee is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences and a liberal columnist for The Eagle.