Staff editorial: Poll worker program keeps election machinery working

A new program run through the Center for Democracy and Election Management trained AU students to work the polls next Tuesday. Students get paid $120 to $140 for a roughly 14-hour day. The money for the program comes through the Help America Vote Act. AU is the only D.C.-area school to be selected to participate in the program.

Anyone who has voted regularly knows that most poll workers have been AARP members for years. As many states make the switch to electronic voting, poll workers have trouble keeping up with the new technology. It's vital that today's youth learn this new technology not only to help out with today's elections but also to provide a base of voting technology knowledge for the future.

In today's politically apathetic and disillusioned world, it's vital that more people become involved. A program like this one not only gets people involved in the present, it sets a precedent to keep them involved in the future. This program also helps emphasize the fact that elections are run by real people, not machines, and does much to get youth involved in the political process.