National briefs

U.S. Senate approves $70 billion in military spending

The U.S. Senate unanimously approved $70 billion on Friday that will finance military operations in Afghanistan and Iraq, according to the Associated Press.

The allocation is part of a $447.6 billion defense budget now awaiting President Bush's signature after passing in the Senate unanimously, the AP reported.

"This bill will ensure [military personnel] are prepared to defeat today's enemies and address tomorrow's threats," Bush said. "I look forward to signing this bill into law."

The war in Iraq has cost the U.S. $379 billion and the operation in Afghanistan has cost $97 billion, according to the AP.

Hotel rooms home to guests, viruses

A new study conducted by the American Society of Microbiology found that hotel rooms can house viruses and germs in addition to guests if they are not cleaned thoroughly, according to the Associated Press.

For the study, 15 people with colds stayed a night in a hotel room. Researchers then surveyed the items they touched after the room was cleaned and found that nearly one-third of the items still contained the cold virus, the AP reported.

"We know that viruses can survive on surfaces for a long time - more than four days," Dr. Birgit Winther, an ear, nose and throat specialist at the University of Virginia who helped lead the study, told The AP.

Viruses were found on faucets, handles, pens, alarm clocks, coffee makers, light switches and shower curtains, the AP reported.