Georgetown caf? boasts tasty cr?pes

Caf? Bonaparte 1522 Wisconsin Ave N.W. Across from Marvelous Market at P Street N.W. and Wisconsin Avenue N.W. Entrees $7-22 Recommended: Soup du Jour, Lisbon Cr?pe, French press coffees

Grade: A

Imperial decadence tastes delicious at Caf? Bonaparte in Georgetown. This French cr?pe restaurant is perfect for brunch, with savory and sweet plates between $7 and $22. Pile on the irresistible extras and the check will soar, but after all the mediocre workweek meals, a spot-on Saturday morning spread is priceless. Indulge thyself.

Patrons enter through red velvet curtains into a cozy and chic dining space. They often start with a cup of wake-me-up from the phenomenal coffee menu or a pint of put-me-at-ease from the bar. Whether one goes the booze or bean route usually depends on what sins cling from the night before. The coffee is so good it almost induces a state of depression when compared with the normal daily dose, which suddenly looks pathetically acidic and flat. The rest of the drink menu holds tempting selections, including a classic mimosa and Nutella espresso.

Now let's talk food. The cheese plates look good enough to make one giggle (in a very refined, snort-free way). The soup du jour on one given day was a pumpkin and apple froth, topped with slices of rough-cut parmesan cheese and toasted bread. After a spoonful, one diner exclaimed, "This tastes like autumn in a bowl!"

Obviously, Caf? Bonaparte takes their specials as seriously as their regular entrees. Omelets, sandwiches and cr?pes round out the rest of the brunch menu.

The cr?pes are layers of delicious ingredients rolled up in a delicate shell and covered in sweet syrups, fruit, ice cream or heartier salads. The Lisbon cr?pe teams smoked salmon, shallots, chives, dill and cream cheese to make a happy tummy that's full but not bursting. The sandwiches combine high-quality elements with fresh loaves of bread, but honestly they aren't exactly unique or mind-blowing. Go with the house specialty: cr?pes.

Caf? Bonaparte's other notable feature is snobbery. Located in the wealthy heart of Georgetown, be prepared for pretentiousness. The crowd is expensively dressed but stylistically bankrupt young professionals. Imagine chunky sunglasses and generic polo shirts (with popped collars, no less.) The few collegiate diners are usually seated with parental characters. That's not a bad idea. This cute European caf? is perfect for a mommy date, as well as mommy's credit card.

Restaurant reviews often depend on exaggeration and hyperbole based on the writer's search for pretty adjectives. However, Caf? Bonaparte really does things properly. It's a bit pricier than normal college fare, but that's the allure. It's not normal. It's out of the ordinary. It's a glorious brunch affair fit for one's inner emperor.