'Fighting Dems' proclaim progressive patriotism

"I've had enough of folks who act tough on TV. I want someone who really is tough when it comes to our foreign policy," roared Sen. Barack Obama at a rally in Virginia last month. Sure enough, in this election the Democratic Party is sending a number of veterans frustrated with the current Bush administration to key races, challenging the notion that the party is soft on national security.

In the sixth district of Illinois, Maj. Tammy Duckworth, an Iraq War veteran, is running for the House in one of the most Republican districts in the Chicago suburbs. In the eighth district of Pennsylvania, Capt. Patrick Murphy, also an Iraq War veteran, is raising a formidable challenge against the GOP incumbent Mike Fitzpatrick. In Pennsylvania's seventh district, Joe Sestak, a former Navy vice admiral, is successfully leading the race against the scandalized GOP incumbent Curt Weldon. Finally, in Virginia, Vietnam veteran and former Secretary of the Navy Jim Webb threatens to unseat a high-profile GOP incumbent, George Allan.

What do all these Democratic candidates have in common? They are veterans, they risked their lives for U.S. national security, they feel betrayed by the current GOP leadership and they are running for Congress to initiate fresh direction in the U.S. foreign policy. These Democrats call themselves Veterans for Secure America and boldly point out that the Bush administration has demonstrated policy incompetence, needlessly hurt the nation through wrong priorities and ultimately failed to make America more secure from its enemies.

Some might be tempted to criticize these veterans as defeatists who are urging the U.S. to surrender to its enemies. The fact is, these veterans have not "cut and run" as some may accuse them of. When called to serve, they willingly fought for their country. Duckworth even lost both legs during her service in Iraq. However, the "Fighting Dems" are adamant that there is no excuse for the federal government to carry out policy blunders that bring more suffering to the

soldiers and to civilians at home. For Webb, the Iraq War was a "strategic blunder," a needless diversion from the War on Terror. The United States became caught in costly reconstruction while losing capacity to fight the other terrorist organizations around the world. Rather than be caught up in blind patriotism, these veterans want an honest debate that could bring about a new strategy for the War on Terror.

Of course, now that the U.S. is already in Iraq, it has a responsibility to promote a stable reconstruction. However, Murphy believes that the nation has to take a new direction in order to be successful in this mission. The United States has to seek a "responsible exit strategy" in Iraq, supporting the Iraqi government to control its own territory. Duckworth believes the U.S. should put more effort in training the Iraqi security forces and redeploy its own military forces to concentrate on international terrorist groups. Ultimately, democracy in Iraq can only be built by the Iraqis themselves.

Unfortunately, the Bush administration has not been willing to be more flexible on the handling of the Iraq reconstruction. Even as veterans like Webb ask, "Every course has a finish line. Where's the finish line for Iraq?" the GOP administration appears to frown on those who ask tough questions against its handling of the war.

This is why these veterans decided to run as Democrats for Congress. They feel there need to be people in Congress who can hold Bush accountable for his policies. While some may accuse these veterans of causing division, "unanimity of opinion" is rarely good for a nation that is engaging a tough challenge. The United States should be safe, strong and successful in its War on Terror. To accomplish this goal, people of different opinions should be able to work together to devise a prudent strategy. Continuing one's path against all objections can be courageous. However, there is a different courage, courage to admit one's mistake and turn away from his error. It is my sincere desire that the Fighting Dems can help this administration find this new courage.

Jong Eun Lee is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences

and a liberal columnist for the Eagle.