Field hockey wins one, loses one to hang on to PL lead

The No. 19 AU field hockey team (11-6, 4-0 PL) continued its up-and-down season this weekend, winning a double-overtime thriller 6-5 over Lehigh on Saturday, but losing 1-0 at Princeton on Sunday.

Coming off a disappointing 5-1 loss at rival Maryland on Wednesday, the Eagles got off to a fast start at Lehigh, taking the lead just over four minutes into the game on Jesika Pufnock's second goal of the season.

Denise and Camila Infante gave AU a 4-0 lead midway through the first half with three goals in under five minutes. Lehigh's Kara Zweizig deflected in a goal with less than 10 minutes left to get the Mountain Hawks on the board.

Freshman Savannah Graybill stretched AU's lead to 5-1 early in the second half with her seventh goal of the season. Lehigh later stormed back scoring four straight goals, including one with fewer than 10 seconds remaining, to tie the game.

However, the Eagles salvaged their 26th straight PL win when Camila Infante scored her second goal of the game in the 92nd minute.

The Eagles offense may have scored six goals on Saturday, but they were unable to tally a single goal in a 1-0 loss on Sunday. Both teams were held scoreless in an evenly matched first half, with each team taking seven shots.

AU came out strong in the second half, but Princeton took the lead just over 10 minutes in on a deflection by Katie Kinzer. The Eagles had some chances to tie the game, taking six shots on goal in the half, but were unable to score.

Tigers goalie Allison Nemeth made 10 saves for the win. Despite losing, senior Alison Fayfich was strong in goal, making eight saves.

Field Hockey Tidbits: Freshman Alyssa Poorman started her first game in goal for the Eagles against Lehigh. She made eight saves in the victory.The Eagles have now dropped their last four out-of-conference games, and are just 7-6 overall outside of the PL.The Eagles will host Holy Cross (12-3, 4-0) on Saturday, with the winner earning the right to host the PL Championship tournament.