Campus calendar

Thursday, Oct. 26

Fidelity Investments Representative on Campus All day A representative from Fidelity Investments, one of the AU retirement plan providers, will be on campus to meet one-on-one with faculty and staff about their retirement savings plans. To schedule an appointment, call 800-642-7131.

Waste and Recycling Day 11 a.m.-3 p.m., quad Check out the bales of recycled goods and trash compactors that will be piled on the quad. Also, learn more about the new recycling program to begin in Anderson Hall as part of National Campus Sustainability Day. For more information, contact Riley Neugebauer at (202) 885-3757.

American Sign Language Workshop 3:30-4:30 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 245 Learn about American Sign Language during this workshop sponsored by Disability Support Services as part of Disability Awareness Month. For more information, contact (202) 885-3312.

Human Rights Film Series: "China Blue" 6 p.m., Wechsler Theatre The screening is part of the seventh annual Human Rights Film Series, which explores ways in which film and media can be used to promote and protect human rights. Light refreshments will be served and the screening will be followed by a discussion. For more information, contact (202) 274-4180.

SIS Graduate Admissions Open House 6-8 p.m., SIS Lounge For more information, contact (202) 885-1600.

Gallery Talk: Donald Kuspit 7 p.m., AU Museum, Katzen Arts Center Donald Kuspit, distinguished art critic and professor of art history and philosophy at the State University of New York at Stony Brook, will discuss the exhibition "Life after Death: New Leipzig Paintings" from the Rubell Family Collection. For more information, contact (202) 885-1300.

"They Shoot Horses, Don't They?" Through Oct. 28 8 p.m., Greenberg Theatre This new musical, adapted from the novel by Horace McCoy and the 1969 classic film, is set in Venice, Calif., during a Depression-era dance marathon. Gail Humphries Mardirosian directs the production. Tickets are $5-$15. For more information, contact (202) 885-2587.

Friday, Oct. 27

National Active Minds Mental Health On Campus Conference All day; continues through Saturday Hosted by AU's Active Minds chapter, this year's national gathering will feature several experts and speakers in an effort to engage and educate a new generation of mental health advocates while raising mental health awareness. The conference includes dinner on Friday and lunch on Saturday and is free to the AU community. For more information, contact auactiveminds@gmail.com or Alison Malmon, executive director of Active Minds Inc., at (202) 719-1177.

"The Rise of the Civilian State in Europe, 1945-2006" 2:30-4 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 200 Historian James Sheehan of Stanford University will discuss his new book, "The Monopoly of Violence: War and the State in Twentieth-Century Europe." For more information, contact Megan Libby at megan.libby@american.edu.

"Mathematical Morsels from The Simpsons and Futurama" 7:30 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center Sarah Greenwald, professor of mathematics and women's studies at Appalachian State University, will lecture. Following the talk will be a Halloween reception in Gray Hall. For more information, contact (202) 885-2446.

The Taboo Topic of Female Genital Cutting: Approaches to Eradication 4:30-6 p.m., SIS Lounge The lecture, sponsored by the Forum Lecture Series Presents, focuses on the various issues that surround the discussion of female genital cutting in several African countries. The lecture is co-sponsored by Society for Peace and Conflict Resolution and Women's Peace Initiative. For more information, contact (202) 885-1657 or idfridayforum@yahoo.com.

Saturday, Oct. 28

"Exploring Public Anthropology" 9:30 a.m., Battelle-Tompkins CAS and the department of anthropology host the third annual Public Anthropology Workshop. For more information, contact (202) 885-2446.

TESOL Fall Workshop: "Cross-Cultural Perspectives on Plagiarism" 9:30 a.m.-2:30 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, rooms 5-6 Learn how to teach responsible composition practices without invoking plagiarism and learn techniques for responding to potential plagiarism. Breakfast and lunch will be provided; registration is required. For more information, contact (202) 885-2582.

Adam Gyorgy and Steven Spooner Concert 7 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center. Reception to follow concert. For more information, contact (202) 885-2446.

South Side Fall Festival 1-4 p.m., LA Quad and McKinley Green There will be 24 tables and activities throughout the afternoon, including costume contests, caramel apple making, races, a haunted house, a water balloon toss, a dance party and various arts and crafts. The activities were planned to be fun for elementary school students as well as college students. This event is sponsored by RHA General Councils as well as the Hall Councils of Anderson, Centennial and Letts. For more information, contact Becca Krichinksy, Fall Fest Coordinator, at (202) 885-7647.

Monday, Oct. 30

Singing Monk Concert 8-10 p.m., Kay Spiritual Life Center For more information, contact Rebekah Moan at rebekah.moan@gmail.com.

Tuesday, Oct. 31

Beyond the Waltz: AustroDance 2006 Through Nov. 6 7:30 p.m., Greenberg Theatre The festival is the first in-depth look in America at Austrian choreography and dancing. The works of five current Austrian choreographers will be shown in the context of Austria's dance history and alongside pieces by two recognized American choreographers resident in Washington. For more information, contact (202) 895-6714.

Wednesday, Nov. 1

Economics Department Seminar Series 12:10-1:15 p.m., Roper Hall, room 101 Chao Wei of George Washington University will discuss macroeconomics. For more information, contact (202) 885-3770.

MSA Information Session 6:30-7:30 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 245 Learn more about the master's of science degree in accounting program. For more information, contact kogodgrad@american.edu.

Best of the Ocean Channel Film Festival 7 p.m., Wechsler Theatre Enjoy the winners of the third annual Ocean Film Festival, sponsored by Filmmakers for Conservation and the Center for Environmental Filmmaking. Phillipe Cousteau, the grandson of legendary ocean explorer Jaques Yves Cousteau, will speak at the event. Admission is free for students; $3-$5 for all others. For more information, contact Chris Palmer at (202) 885-3408.

Visiting Writers Series: Edward P. Jones 8 p.m., Abramson Family Recital Hall, Katzen Arts Center Jones, a D.C. native, was the winner of the 2004 Pulitzer Prize in fiction and the 2005 International IMPAC Dublin Literary Award for his novel "The Known World." For more information, contact the department of literature at (202) 885-2971.

Meditation Seminar 7-8:30 p.m., Anderson Conference Room Monk Dada Nabhaniilananda will be performing original songs from his seventh album, "Return of the Magic." For more information, contact Rebekah Moan at rebekah.moan@gmail.com.