Campus briefs

Student trustee candidates to interview tonight

Student leaders will interview candidates tonight to select finalists for the first-ever student to sit on the board of trustees, according to a statement posted by Student Government President Ashley Mushnick on the SG Web site.

Mushnick said she received over 10 applications for the trustee position. Six of those applicants received invitations for an interview.

Mushnick, Graduate Leadership Council Chair Wade Murphy and Student Bar Association President Jon D. Feere will select three finalists and the board's Trusteeship Committee will make the final decision.

"A central challenge to our search is finding a candidate that all three constituency leaders are equally comfortable with. The student trustee will have to be able to offer the multiple perspectives of AU students to the board," Mushnick said in the statement.

Mushnick said interview candidates include undergraduate, graduate and law school students. Initial applications for the position were due Sept. 20.

AU students participate in Chipotle ad contest

Five teams of students from the School of Communication are participating in Chipotle's first nationwide advertising contest by submitting 30-second television spots promoting the burrito chain, according to a press release from KNS Promotion Inc.

AU and 21 other schools around the country received invitations to participate in the contest. The invitations were based on the strength of the schools' communication departments and their proximity to Chipotle restaurants, according to the statement. The winning team will be announced Nov. 3 on the Chipotle Web site.

"The students were unbelievably enthusiastic about this," Professor Maggie Stogner of the film and media arts department said in the press release. "They thought it was a great opportunity."

Chipotle marketing staff and professionals within the advertising industry will judge the ads, which are due Oct. 20. The school with the winning advertisement will receive $20,000, split evenly between the school and the team, according to the statement.

According to the press release, two of the AU teams have already shot footage at the Chipotle in Tenleytown.