Women's soccer shutout in first loss of season

The AU women's soccer team suffered their first loss of the season Sunday afternoon, losing to N.C. State in the finale of the Wolfpack Invitational. This loss snapped the season opening-winning streak of four games, which had been the best opening of a season for the Eagles' in the seven-year tenure of head coach Michael Brady.

For the first time all season, the Eagles failed to score a single goal. N.C. State got on the board early in the fifth minute of play to take a 1-0 lead. They would add another tally in the 30th minute to gain a 2-0 advantage, a lead they would not give up.

A strong offense and a solid defense had been the formula for the Eagles' success so far this season, as they held their opponents to only two goals the entire season while scoring 11 for themselves throughout their winning streak. However, AU would only manage one shot on goal against the Wolfpack while doubling their season total of goals allowed.

In the first game of the tournament, the Eagles defeated East Carolina State 1-0.

After playing to a scoreless tie for the majority of the first half, the Eagles finally got on the board in the 40th minute with a goal by senior Jana Lee off of an assist by freshman Kelsey Brasher. This gave the Eagles the lead heading into halftime.

Similar to the first half, the second period would be a defensive struggle. Neither team was able to find the net and AU's defense held strong to preserve the shutout.

For their play in the two matches, defender Annette Scott, forward Jana Lee and midfielder Christina Gonzalez were named to the all-tournament team.

AU will look to get back on the winning track when they return to action Wednesday against Georgetown at Reeves Field. The game kicks off at 3 p.m.