Women's soccer shut out for second straight time; dropped by Georgetown 2-0

Women's soccer shut out for second straight time; dropped by Georgetown 2-0
Christina Gonzalez goes in for a shot yesterday against Georgetown.

The AU women's soccer team lost their second game in a row on Wednesday afternoon, falling to Georgetown 2-0. It is the second consecutive game in which the Eagles have been shut out, following a four-game winning streak to start the season.

At the start of the game, the Eagles defense played very strong, holding the Georgetown offense in check. On the other end, the Hoyas defense played just as well, shutting down the Eagles' strikers and turning the game into a defensive struggle.

Georgetown looked to take an early lead midway through the first half but AU goaltender Alison Doyle made a great sliding save to knock the ball away at the last second. It was one of many huge saves that Doyle would make in the first period.

Later in the first half, the two sides traded shots off of the posts, as Hoya Brittany Berry hit the far post on a cross while AU's Christina Gonzalez hit the crossbar on a shot from beyond the 18-yard box. This would be a theme all day for the Eagles offense, as many of their best scoring chances would ring off of a post rather than find the back of the net.

AU and Georgetown would continue their defensive pressure, holding each other scoreless heading into halftime.

However, the second half of play would be drastically different than the first.

Georgetown took a quick lead only seven minutes into the second half on a breakaway by Sarah Fetters, who slid the ball past a sprawled Doyle to put the Hoyas up 1-0.

Georgetown would add another tally only four minutes later on a great strike by Chrissy Skogen off of a cross by Berry. This gave the Hoyas a 2-0 advantage, a lead that would hold up for the rest of the game.

Following the game, head coach Michael Brady expressed disappointment in his team's performance but he was not surprised by the way Georgetown attacked in the second half.

"If you check out the way they have been playing all year, they are a very good second half team," he said. "We just did not match the intensity that Georgetown came out with."

After two disappointing losses, the Eagles look to get the offense clicking again and get back on the winning track when they face Columbia on Friday afternoon at Reeves Field. The game gets under way at 4 p.m.

Never miss a story

Get our weekly newsletter delivered right to your inbox.

More from The Eagle