Seniors to begin Teach for America application process

Teach for America, an organization with the goal of closing the academic achievement gap between low-income and high-income areas of the country, is currently recruiting on campus.

The program seeks to recruit teachers to work specifically in low-income areas of the country, both urban and rural.

"This is a mission that is really important and provocative," said Danielle Giusto, one of the AU campaign managers for the program and a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences.

"It's our generation's civil rights issue," said Paul Perry, a senior in the School of Public Affairs and the School of International Service and on-campus campaign manager for the organization, who is also a contributing editorial columnist for The Eagle.

Those teaching for the organization are recent college graduates who commit to two years of teaching before pursuing their future career plans, Giusto said.

Before teaching, the graduates undergo a five-week education program that puts them on track to receive their teaching certification, Perry said.

To become a teacher for the program, one must apply and be accepted. The application deadlines for this year's seniors are Sept. 30, Nov. 5, Jan. 7 and Feb. 18. Students are encouraged to apply early so they have the best chance of getting their preferred location, Giusto said.

Eligibility requirements and application information as well as an online application are available at www.teachforamerica.org.

The accepted graduates have achieved very high standards both in academics and in leadership during their college years, Giusto said.

"Really motivated students make really good teachers," she said. "And that motivation and drive can't be taught."

Upon acceptance, students are offered a full-time paid teaching job with health benefits, which they can either accept or decline, she said.

Last year about 45 AU students applied, 11 were accepted and 10 took their teaching positions, Perry said.

The graduates also get to indicate in which area of the country they would like to teach, Perry said, and 96 percent get placed in their highly preferred location.

Only two percent of those involved in the program are education majors, Giusto said. The program has a close relationship with graduate schools around the country, allowing students to defer for two years and continue their education afterwards.

While few of the teachers in the corps are education majors, 64 percent of participants remain in some facet of education after their two years in the program are up, while 91 percent continue to be involved in their local community in some way, Giusto said.