Men's soccer suffers scoring drought at New Mexico tournament

The AU men's soccer team was able to hold their opponents to a single goal this weekend, however they could not find the net themselves as they dropped both games of the New Mexico Youth Soccer Association Classic in overtime to lower their record to 3-5-2.

In the opening game of the tournament against host school University of New Mexico, the Eagles played outstanding defense throughout the game. They were able to stay shot for shot against the 18th ranked Lobos in the first half, taking a 6-5 shot advantage into halftime.

As the second period of play began, the defense would again be tested, as the Lobos took 11 shots on goal while the Eagles were only able to muster a single ball on goal. Senior goaltender Chris Sedlak would make five saves in the game overall, but none as important as his final one in regulation.

Sedlak was able to make a point-blank save on a redirect off of a corner kick in the 90th minute of play, taking the ball into his hands inches before the goal line to preserve the scoreless tie.

Unfortunately for Sedlak, this save would be for naught in overtime, as the Lobos were able to score on a penalty kick in the 99th minute for a 1-0 win. Defenseman Cooper Bryant had collided with a Lobo player in the box, receiving a red card in the process and earning the Lobos the game-winning goal.

The second game of the tournament against St Francis (Pa.) would be much like the first, with each team playing very strong defense. Again, for the second game in a row, the Eagles' defense would keep their opponent off of the scoreboard but were unable to take the lead for themselves.

With only a combined 13 shots on goal between the two teams (six for AU and seven for SFU), each shot on goal became more and more important. AU had its best chance to score with a minute to play when Sal Caccavale took a shot from the top of the box that was knocked away by the SFU goalie.

Caccavale also had an opportunity to win it for the Eagles with a minute remaining in the first half of overtime but it was saved again by SFU. This would be the last chance for the Eagles, as the game would end in a scoreless tie after two overtimes.

For his stellar play throughout the tournament, including only allowing one goal through two overtime games, Sedlak was named to the All-Tournament team along with his teammate J.P. Kuykendall.

The schedule does not get any easier for the Eagles, who look to break their four -game winless streak when they travel to No. 1 Virginia on Wednesday. The action begins at 7 p.m. from Charlottesville.