Campus brief: Student Government begins new term

The Undergraduate Senate gaveled in a new term on Sunday with only eight of the 30 senators present.

The Student Government executives presented summaries of their achievements over the summer as well as what they hope to accomplish in the coming weeks.

SG President Ashley Mushnick spoke on some of her summer accomplishments, continuing former SG president Kyle Taylor's DVD initiative, Eagle Flicks, a rental system that will offer thousands of movie titles for AU students that will arrive in the coming weeks and be located in Mary Graydon Center.

Mushnick also followed through on one of her campaign platforms, saying that condom machines will be arriving in the dorms within the next week.

When the Senate meets next week, they will vote on several nominations, including former SG secretary Joe Vidulich as Judicial Board chair, former School of Public Affairs senator Elliot Friedman as associate justice and former Senate clerk Claire Kurtz as a member of the Judicial Board.

Senate Speaker Ben Murray presided over the session and spoke to the future of the Senate.

"The point of the next four weeks is to finish up the business we have and plan for the next semester," he said.

The SG kicks off its annual Artemas Ward week today with KPU's presentation of former Secretary of Transportation Norman Mineta in Kay Spiritual Life Center at 7:30 p.m.