Taylor's mission continues

Senate to revise Meal Plan bill following veto

Some initiatives of former President Kyle Taylor's administration are still ongoing, although the newly elected Student Government executives have been sworn into office,

In his last act as president, Taylor vetoed the Meal Plan legislation passed last week. The Undergraduate Senate will hold a special session Monday night at 8:30 in Ward 5 to reconsider the bill.

As previously reported in The Eagle, the legislation, authored by Class of 2008 Senator Charlie Biscotto, works to inform students of the discrepancies between having a meal plan and using cash for payments.

The legislation recommends that students who are not required to have a meal plan withdraw from the program and urges Housing and Dining Programs to re-evaluate the options and costs of the meal plan.

In his explanation behind vetoing the bill, Taylor said that although he supports the idea, it gives Housing and Dining and Bon Appetit a dangerous amount of unchecked power in re-evaluating the current meal plan system.

The legislation can be amended to address Taylor's concerns and needs a two-thirds vote in the Senate to override the veto.

Early in April, Taylor negotiated extended weekend hours at the Eagle's Nest as well as weekend hours at the Health Center to address a common complaint of students. The extended hours were well attended and have demonstrated a need for change to the university, Taylor said.

According to Taylor, the Health Center will be open seven days a week during the first week of the fall semester for freshmen to hand in forms. The Health Center will be re-evaluating the best opening hours to meet the needs of students during this time.

During the two pilot weekends, the Eagle's Nest remained profitable with the extended hours, Taylor said. The Eagle's Nest will have extended weekend hours during the first eight weeks of the fall semester. After the eight weeks, the University will look at a more permanent compromise.

A continuing project Taylor has worked on throughout the semester is iBeatMyBookstore.com, an online database that allows students to sell books to the campus community.

The SG had to pull advertising for the Web site, as it promotes a company the University has an exclusive contract with.

"The prices the bookstore pays students when they go to sellback are simply unacceptable, and it's disturbing to think that the SG doesn't have the ability to offer students an alternative," Taylor said.

With the new executives taking office, there are certain initiatives Taylor said he hopes to see continue, including student Metro cards, condom machines in the residence halls, a fairer parking policy, greater school spirit and student representation on the board of trustees.

"These are all things I believe students deserve and have earned," Taylor said in his final speech as SG president. "We should be assured the right and the freedom to advocate for students, even if it means disagreeing with the university. Without dissent, there are no new ideas, and without new ideas, there is no progress"