Men's tennis fighting for a final home showdown

The men's tennis team is gearing up for its most important match of the year against Army on Sunday for the right to host the Patriot League tournament.

Currently the Eagles and the Black Knights are battling at the top of the conference standings. Both teams are undefeated in league play.

Last year, the Eagles were able to defeat Army, 4-3, in the regular season and earn the right to host the Patriot League title. However, they lost a close match to Army, 4-3, in the PL finals.

"We want to host the tourney[,] we want toÿwin the tourney[,] and we want to go to NCAAs,"ÿsophomore Daniel Frid wrote in an e-mail. "Each member on the team has had a great season[. W]eÿhave all had playing time and we have all contributed so much."

This is going to be the last year of the men's tennis program. The athletic department decided to cut the program along with the woman's tennis and men's golf programs last year for budgetary reasons. The team is hoping to go out on top with a PL title.

"We have been working really hard and stayed real positive considering the circumstances," Frid wrote.

Leading the Eagles has been No. 1 singles player, senior Nicolas Frayssinoux of France. Frayssinoux is 10-5 in singles matches and has been one of the Eagles' most consistent players all year long. He is also 9-5 in doubles matches on the year.

The team's No. 2 singles player, senior Juancarlo Vazquez, is 8-6 in singles matches.

AU is 10-11 overall and 4-0 in the league. Before facing off against Army, the Eagles will have to play a make-up match against Bucknell Friday. The two were scheduled to play at Bucknell April 5, but the match was postponed due to bad weather. AU will travel back to Bucknell to make up the match, hoping to set-up the battle of unbeatens.

"For theÿrest of the season we are going to have to keep doing what we know how to do[,]ÿand that is work hard and stay tough," Frid wrote.