Spring fling

Check out spring's most inviting destinations for love

Valentine's Day came and went, and nearly everyone found themselves complaining about either having someone boring or having no one at all. With 11 months to prepare for the next Hallmark-sponsored day of self-depreciation, make some time to go out with someone fresh to do something new. Now that spring has arrived in the District like a pretentious intern from Nebraska, take advantage of the pretty weather and the "Hey! Look at me! I'm changing things!" modus operandi and go on the following dates:

National Cherry Blossom Festival

The National Cherry Blossom Festival celebrates its 94th anniversary in Washington, D.C., this year. What better way to celebrate budding love than to take part in the festivities March 25 through April 9? Pat Sajak of "Wheel of Fortune," Anthony Fedorov of "American Idol" and singer Martha Wash of "Everybody Dance Now" fame will all be making appearances on Constitution Avenue during April 8's parade. If this bevy of celebrity sightings is too overwhelming for a star struck date, head over to the free Japanese Street Festival on Pennsylvania Avenue to enjoy delicious food and the soothing sounds of the koto.

Fort Reno Picnic

For a DIY date, go to the Dupont Farmer's Market at North Dupont and 21st Street on Sunday mornings. After making culinary purchases from the wide array of vendors, enjoy a picnic at one of the city's beautiful parks, such as Fort Reno, conveniently located near the AU Metro station.

Jazz Appreciation By most accounts, dancing is one of the quickest ways to the heart. Luckily, in observation of Jazz Appreciation Month, The National Museum of American History offers its free Swing Dance Day from noon to 5:30 pm on April 9. The museum offers various dance lessons and films throughout the day, as well as other jazz-themed events all month long.

Putt-putt While golf may be one of the less sexy popular American sports (uniforms involving hotpants might appropriately spice things up), putt-putt retains a certain allure - presumably it has something to do with onomatopoeia and castles in miniature. Choose a date with a car and try out Putt Putt Golf & Games at 130 Rollins Ave., Rockville, Md. Call (301) 881-1663 for more information.

Country Dance Series Two-steps, line dances and waltzes, oh my! Take a date down to the Kennedy Center on April 6 at 6pm to smooth out those down-home moves. Call ahead to order the $36 tickets at (202) 416-8500, and don't forget the cowboy boots.

Duckpin Bowling AMF College Park Lanes in College Park, Md., doesn't offer just any type of bowling. They offer the cutest variety - Duckpin bowling. Rumored to have been created in Baltimore around 1900, the pins are smaller versions of traditional pins and the duckpin bowling ball is a little like a coconut - small, wooden and without holes. This extremely cheap form of entertainment (think less than $20 for a night's worth of two people bowling) is located at 9021 Baltimore Blvd., College Park, Md. Call (301)474-8282 for details and directions.