National briefs

U.S. destroyer hits oil tanker near Iraqi coast

The U.S.S McCampbell, a U.S. Navy destroyer, collided with an oil tanker off the coast of Iraq on Sunday, injuring four people, USA TODAY reported.

No oil spilled into the ocean, but both ships sustained minor damage although they remained seaworthy.

The McCampbell, which is currently ported in San Diego, is conducting maritime security operations in support of Iraq's southern ports. Oil revenue from security operations is a large source of money for Iraqi reconstruction.

Report optimistic about potential stadium revenues

A new D.C baseball stadium could produce $203 million in revenue, the Washington Post reported Sunday.

The projected figures are part of a recent report, written by the Economics Research Associates for D.C. Chief Financial Officer Natwar Gahndi. Projections exceed the current expectations of the District and Major League Baseball. If the new figures come true, the Nationals would become the wealthiest team in baseball.

The report concludes the District could make $23.4 million per year for the first 22 years of the stadium's existence.

Despite the new optimism, some baseball officials expressed skepticism, saying the numbers are too optimistic.

The report used ticket sales, concessions and parking revenues to calculate its projections. Potential television revenues were not included.