Metro calendar

Wednesday, March 8

Film- Sisters In Cinema: Zora Neale Hurston 7:00 p.m. - 9:30 p.m. National Museum of Women in the Arts: 1250 New York Avenue, NW Metro: Metro Center (Orange, Blue and Red lines) 13th Street exit Admission: students $4 For more information, call 202-783-5000

The first screening in our Sisters In Cinema series celebrates Zora Neale Hurston's ethnographic work, which has been discovered and restored by the Library of Congress .

Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Flea Market at Eastern Market 10:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Eastern Market: Seventh Street and North Carolina Avenue, SE Metro: Eastern Market (Orange and Blue lines) Admission: Free For more information, call 703-534-7612

Contributing to the continuation of more than a century of curbside selling outside Eastern Market, the Flea Market at Eastern Market operates every Sunday at this historic Capitol Hill landmark. Eastern Market is the last of Washington's 19th century markets to remain in continuous operation featuring crafts, fresh produce, jewelry, furniture and artwork.

St. Patrick's Day Parade 12:00 - 3:00 p.m. Constitution Avenue between 7th to 17th streets NW Metro: Smithsonian or Federal Triangle stops (Orange and Blue) lines or the Archives/Navy Memorial Metro stop on the (Yellow and Green lines) Admission: Free

This two-and-a-half hour special event, known as The Nation's St. Patrick's Day Parade, will include floats, marching bands, pipe bands, military, police and fire departments. Local Irish pubs will sponsor parade parties featuring Irish musicians, dancers and signers. St. Patrick's Day is a family day, bringing people together to share the culture of the Irish.

Everyday through Wednesday, March 15

Ice Skating Monday - Saturday 10:00 a.m. - 11:00 p.m. Sunday 11:00 a.m. - 9:00 p.m. National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden Metro: Judiciary Square (Red line), Archives (Yellow and Green lines), and Smithsonian (Blue and Orange lines). Cost: $6 (with student ID), $3 for skate rental For more information, call 202-289-3360

The National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden ice-skating rink is open mid-November through mid-March, weather permitting. View works of sculpture while ice skating in the open air and enjoying music from the state-of-the-art sound system. The Pavilion Caf? serves freshly made wraps, sandwiches, gourmet pizzas and salads. Coffee, tea, hot chocolate, wine and beer are also available.

Friday, March 17

Music and Dance: Culkin School of Traditional Irish Dance 6:00 p.m. John F. Kennedy Center for the Performing Arts Admission: Free Metro: Foggy Bottom/GWU (Orange and Blue lines) For more information, call 202-467-4600

Celebrate St. Patrick's Day with D.C.'s Culkin School of Traditional Irish Dance, which preserves the unique tradition of Irish music and dance.

Saturday, March 18

Matt Pond PA and Youth Group Doors open at 6:30 p.m. 9:30 club- 815 V St. NW(intersection of 9th, V and Vermont streets.) Metro: U St / African American Civil War Memorial/Cardozo Station Tickets: $10 For more information, visit www.930.com or call Tickets.com at 703.218.6500

This four-member band, led by singer Matt Pond, was originally formed in Philadelphia, (hence the PA). The band was recently listed among "Rolling Stone's 10 Bands to Watch" and has a track on "The OC" soundtrack.