Campus calendar

Thursday, March 3

"Be True to You: Assertiveness in Relationships Workshop" 3:35-4:50 p.m., Hughes Formal Lounge. Learn how to express yourself genuinely and assertively as a way to develop your relationships. For more information, contact 885-3500.

"Spirituality in Conflict Analysis: Phillip Hellmich" 6 p.m., location TBA. Sponsored by Search for the Common Ground and the International Peace and Conflict Resolution program. For more information, contact peace@american.edu.

The Olive Branch Panel on the Development of Discrimination 8-9:30 p.m., Butler Board Room

Come and take part in a panel-led discussion regarding discrimination in the US. Professors and community leaders will be there to give their opinions on how far we have come and how far we still need to go to give equal rights to all Americans. Refreshments are provided after the program. For more information, e-mail Paul Jamain at paul.jamain@american.edu.

Women's Peace Initiative Meeting 8:15 p.m., Battelle Atrium All women and men are welcome to attend this Women's Peace Initiative meeting! We will hear students share their Alternative Break experience in Belize, discuss and plan events for the rest of the semester, write letters to our sponsored sister, and vote on important issues that affect the club! Come and bring friends! Free food! For more information, e-mail Jenny Wells at jennifer.wells@american.edu.

Friday, March 31

International Communication Conference 2-5 p.m., Butler Board Room. Speakers include Joseph Pelton, director, Space Advanced Communication Research Institute. Contact 885-1621 for more information.

"Blown Away: What Knot to Do When Sailing" 7:30 p.m., Ward 1. Sir Randolph William III (Colin Adams) will discuss how the mathematical theory of knots saved him during a nautical adventure. For more information, contact 885-3120.

Saturday, April 1

Ann Robyn Mathias Student Research Conference 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins Atrium. The annual CAS student research conference, now in its 16th year, will provide a forum for undergraduate and graduate students to present their original research. For more information, contact 885-2446.

AU Chamber Singers: "Gothic Voices, A Program of Early Music" Through 2 Apr. 8 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, Abramson Family Recital Hall. A concert of early music by Dufay, Josquin, Victoria, Schutz, J.S. Bach, Vivaldi and others. Admission is $5-$8. For more information, contact 885-3420.

Sunday, April 2

New Plays Workshop Series: Penelope Through 3 Apr., 7 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, Studio Theatre. This play reading, directed by Gail Humphries Mardirosian, tells the story of The Odyssey from the point of view of Penelope, Odysseus's wife. The play reading is presented in conjunction with the Embassy of Greece, Office of the Cultural Counselor. For more information, contact 885-3420.

Monday, April 3

Student Government Elections 9 a.m. until Wednesday April 5 at 5 p.m. To vote, visit you're my.american.edu Web portal.

"Human Rights Implications of Hurricane Katrina: Six Months Later" 9 a.m.-5 p.m., WCL. The response to Hurricane Katrina spotlighted issues of class, race, and poverty in the United States. Six months later, it's time to assess how the rebuilding and restoration efforts have implicated human rights concerns. Sponsored by the Center for Human Rights and Humanitarian Law. For more information, contact 274-4180.