National briefs

Average college freshman gains seven pounds

According to a published study by Rutgers University, college freshmen don't gain the "Freshman 15", but only an additional seven pounds, said The Daily Princetonian.

The study monitored 67 student volunteers from September to April who ate regularly in the Rutgers dining hall. The seven-pound gain was attributed to an excess 112 daily calories. The excess may be due to the buffet-style eating in the dining hall, said the study. Another contributing factor is less exercise.

"The freshman year may be an environment where eating more food than the body needs is the predominant state for a significant number of students," said a Rutgers Nutritionist and coauthor of the study.

Previously, a Tufts University study concluded a male freshman on average gained six pounds, and female freshman gained four and a half pounds.

Former CIA director Tenet to publish memoirs

Former CIA Director George Tenet will be writing his memoirs tentatively titled, "At The Center Of The Storm," according to The Washington Post.

The book, to be published by HarperCollins, will cover pre-9/11 war against terrorism, discussion with senior administration officials and the run-up to the Iraq war, according to a HarperCollins press release.

Tenet previously negotiated a deal with Crown Publishing for $5 million, but it was never finalized. Tenet took time off and taught a course at Georgetown University before signing the HarperCollins deal.