National briefs

Blackberry creates new software

Research in Motion, makers of the Blackberry technology, announced Friday they have created new software that does not violate any patents, allowing the continuation of its existing wireless e-mail service, The Washington Post reported.

Blackberry officials said the new software can be downloaded from the company's Web site. Despite this, NTP, a patent holding firm, has not reviewed the new software to see if it violates any NTP patents

NTP and RIM have been fighting a legal battle over patent issues for the past four years, but RIM has lost every court battle. The court found RIM in violation of NTP's patents and the judge said he would not delay a threatened injunction against RIM's wireless e-mail service.

An injunction would halt Blackberry service, which many companies use.

Conan pokes fun at Finnish president

Late night talk show host Conan O'Brien said he wants a cabinet post as a "sauna inspector" when Finnish President Tarja Halonen is re-elected with his help, according to the Associated Press.

O'Brien traveled to Finland Saturday and was welcomed by fans aching to get a glimpse of him. O'Brien has made waves lately by comparing his physical features to that of Halonen, who resembles O'Brien.

O'Brien has been running fake campaign ads endorsing Halonen and attacking her foes. Halonen was recently re-elected to a second six-year term as Finland's first female president.

"Why do I support Tarja Halonen? Because she's got the total package: a dynamic personality, a quick mind and most importantly, my good looks," O'Brien told the AP.

O'Brien is in Finland to meet with President Halonen and receive an award for being a TV personality in Finland, according to CNN.com

Panel: 'ADD drugs may be dangerous'

A federal panel has recommended Adderall and Ritalin carry "black box" warnings after reports that the drugs may have caused sudden deaths and other health complications, The Washington Post reported.

Adderall and Ritalin are used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, a condition making it difficult for a person to concentrate.

These warnings say the drugs carry important risks.

The warnings came in the wake of concerns of overuse by children in the United States. Approximately 10 percent of all 10-year-old American boys are using one of the drugs, and the number of adults using the drug has increased recently.

The FDA must decide whether to institute the warnings, although it usually follows the panel's recommendation, according to The Post.