Freedom of expression does not equal racial ignorance

Over the last week, television screens have broadcasted the growing and angry global Muslim sentiment over Danish cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed in a negative light. Unfortunately, these cartoons and their subsequent protests in reaction have brought violence to many living in the Muslim world. There are Danish travel advisories issued ranging from Algeria to Pakistan, and embassies burned in Beirut and Damascus. Sadly, this entire incident has brought back a sense of mistrust between Muslims and Christians in Lebanon with riots entirely too reminiscent of those in the turbulent 80's.

Most westerners may justifiably see this as a gross overreaction to a set of cartoons, however this situation must be looked at in the context of differing world views. Flemming Rose, the cultural editor at Jyllands-Posten's Copenhagen office, sums up the viewpoint held by many in the west when he stubbornly stated, "An apology would imply we regret what we've done, which we don't. We do satires of Jesus, the royal family and politicians; not to do satires of Muslims would show prejudice as we would be treating them differently from all other groups." What the western world does not understand is that while poking at the fallacies of political leaders is acceptable and satires of Jesus may not create much unrest to the overall Christian community; the same principle does not simply carry over into the Muslim worldview. According to Islamic belief, the Prophet Mohammed is not just any other Muslim. When Muslims look at Mohammed, they see a man who is- politically, spiritually, and socially, the perfect embodiment of a Muslim. His importance to the meaning of Islam cannot be overstated and is fiercely protected in lands where the call to prayer is announced religiously, 5 times a day. When putting this cartoon incident in context, it becomes clearer to see why there is so much anger felt in these protests.

This incident has once again stirred the debate about freedom of expression in society. There have been prominent figures and institutions on both ends of the liberal-conservative spectrum that have condemned the cartoons' cultural insensitivity. Former US President Bill Clinton has called the Danish cartoons "appalling" and "outrageous cartoons against Islam." The Vatican, which seems to be the only moderate voice in the debacle, has stated, "The freedom of thought and expression, confirmed in the Declaration of Human Rights, can not include the right to offend religious feelings of the faithful." Unfortunately, the Danish newspaper and government has been persistent in preserving the cartoons under the banner of "freedom of expression." Ironically, this staunchly independent view held by many of Europe's governments and propagated by their left-wing newspapers have left many Danish and other western citizens to fear for the personal safety. It is not unfounded in retaining certain material that may create a security risk or harm relations with others. Many a time, such news networks as CNN have withheld certain material at the request of government organization. In Denmark, not only is there an imprudent newspaper, but an irresponsible government is at hand that chooses to abandon the safety of its citizens and defend the actions of a foolish newspaper in exchange for strained relations with the Muslim world.

In reaction to the Danish government's lack of action, Muslim governments have taken steps to show their concern and should be commended. Saudi Arabia recently pulled its ambassador from Denmark. Danish goods are being boycotted in many wealthy countries across the gulf where much of their sales are located. Other countries such as Indonesia and Pakistan are considering trade restrictions and boycotts against Denmark. Over time, these policies will cause Denmark a certain financial pinch from its government's inaction.

Indeed, we should all make the effort to be aware of the religious prejudice around us. Unfortunately, with bans on Islamic veils for women and now these offensive cartoons depicting the Prophet Mohammed, its seems Europe, as President Clinton stated, is in the process to "Replace the anti-Semitic prejudice with anti-Islamic prejudice." With much regret, some of these protests have violently targeted religious minorities as well as other innocent people who may have nothing more in relation to these cartoons than simply being from Denmark. Violence against innocent people in these protests or anywhere else is against the spirit of Islam and against the spirit of the Prophet Mohammed himself. Mohammed advocated the protection of churches and synagogues and may the Quran stand in saying, "Allah does not forbid you to be kind and equitable to those who had neither fought against your faith nor driven you out of your homes." (60:8)

Riazul Raquib is a junior in college of arts and sciences. He is the President of the Muslim Students Association.