Eagles top conference rival in final home hurrah

The AU wrestling team won its final three matches to cap off a 19-12 comeback against East Stroudsburg Friday night at Bender Arena. The Eagles, who won at South Dakota State Sunday, 38-9, are now 12-6 on the year and 5-1 in Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Association.

Josh Glenn started the comeback with his 16th pin of the year late in the second period. Glenn, who is the No. 1 wrestler in the country at a 184 pounds, gave AU a crucial six points to cut ESU's lead to 19-18.

"Josh Glenn always come through for us," AU coach Mark Cody said after the match. "Every time he steps on the mat he delivers. Whenever we need a pin from him he delivers."

Tyler Flatt was the next AU wrestler to step up. The sophomore wrestled to a scoreless draw in the first period. In the second period Flatt was able to score an escape to hold on to a slim 1-0 lead. In the third period, he amassed enough riding time against his opponent to earn another point and eek out a 2-1 decision.

AU held a small 21-19 lead, but needed heavyweight Adam LoPiccolo to come through. The No. 10 heavyweight in the country wrestled a scoreless first period, but did not allow his opponent to score either.

In the second period, LoPiccolo's opponent managed an escape to take a slim 1-0 lead.

The third period, LoPiccolo started on top, hoping to amass enough riding time to score a point to force overtime. LoPiccolo succeeded with three minutes of riding time, which was good enough to force overtime.

In overtime, LoPiccolo scored a takedown good enough for a 3-1 victory and a team win for AU

"It was a coaching mistake on my part to put Adam on top to start the third period," Cody said. "I should not have put him on top and put pressure on him to force him to get a point for riding time. Fortunately, he came through."

Before the match, three seniors were honored. Muzaffar Abdurakhmanov, Tom Kniezewski and Matt Morkel were all recognized as seniors for their dedication and service to the AU wrestling program.

"All three of these wrestlers helped pave the way for this program," Cody said.

Morkel and Kniezewski each scored victories for AU. Morkel held on for a 4-2 decision. Kniezewski dominated his opponent throughout the first and second periods of his match and scored a pin.