Cohen can do it for U.S. skating

I'll be honest. I've talked down on Turin's version of the Olympics as much as anyone, but even with no one watching, it's dominated headlines for the last week-and-a-half. In honor of that, this week's edition is based soley on the spectacle taking place in the Alps.

Truth: Figure skater Sasha Cohen will win the gold medal. Just like the Americans did 26 years ago, they will break the hearts of the Russians by preventing the gold-medal sweep this week.

Cohen skated flawlessly and leads Russian rival Irina Slutskaya by .03 going into the long program. Her flow and grace was evident, combined with her compelling story about switching coaches. It makes her the sweetheart in the eyes of everyone watching. Slutskaya, in a heinous pants suit, looked overmatched on Tuesday and will be even worse in the long program.

Remember 1992 in Lillehammer, when the bubbly Russian, Oksana Baiul, overtook American starlet Nancy Kerrigan? Well, Cohen will get revenge and bring the gold back to America.

Truth: Bode Miller is a bigger disappointment than the Dream Team last Olympics.

OK, go with me on this. The Dream Team went to Athens fully expecting to win Gold in a sport dominated by the United States with American players and an American coach. Their loss, while disappointing, was a lot more exciting for the rest of the world than it was saddening for the Americans. Two years later, we're still the best basketball nation in the world. Meanwhile, in Argentina, they are celebrating like they just conquered the world and had no business doing it.

Bode Miller had that chance to come in and beat the strong skiing nations (Germany, Italy, Switzerland, etc.) at their own game by a lesser opponent (the United States). He could've ben the most dominant American skier ever, and he blew it.

The Americans are not the best skiing nation. But, the chance for victory was there, and the disappointment of not capitalizing makes Miller a much bigger disgrace than the Dream Team

Lie: Every other Olympic Games should be held in the United States.

As an American, I want to believe this and argue for it. Really, I do. I just can't justify that because one nation is such a huge revenue builder and dominant country, it should host every other Olympics. Many of our cities (Atlanta, Salt Lake City, Lake Placid) have proven to be wonderful venues, but an Olympic Games every two years is too much for even us to handle. It would desensitize Americans to the mystique of the Games and would cause even more worldwide hostility toward us than already exists. Decreasing the opportunity for other nations is unfair and impractical.