Basketball recruitment offends, demeans women

This letter directly addresses my disappointment with the demeaning and insensitive conduct displayed by the Men's Basketball Office through their objectification of women in recent recruitment materials.ÿ The flier's flagrant promotion of sexist attitudes is undeniable in its description of Washington, DC as "the #1 place to find babes." To think that AU would resort to objectifying its female student body in the name of athletic recruitment offends me as a woman and insults my personal academic integrity and the professionalism of American University as an institution.

Because I have always proudly considered American University to be a progressive social leader, the university's circulation of backwards and sexist propaganda is thoroughly disappointing and disgraceful.ÿ Furthermore, the fact that this flier is printed and circulated on AU letterhead sends a blatant message of institutionalized disrespect towards over 60% of its student body.

This year has already been trying for students.ÿ We have seen the institution's integrity denigrated by former President Ladner's shameless disregard for the wellbeing of its students. American University's approval and usage of this recruitment flier is a slap in the face to every student.

In acknowledgement of the demeaning attitude shamelessly employed by American University's Basketball Office, I am requesting a formal letter of apology from the offenders addressed and circulated to all members of the AU community.ÿ I sincerely hope that the administration joins student and departmental efforts to reverse this unfortunate and demeaning experience and continue to work towards gender equality.

Emily Caponetti is president of Democratic Women and Friends of AU.