Metro briefs

Cell phone bandit and boyfriend arrested

Federal and state officials are wrangling over who will prosecute the woman accused of robbing four Northern Virginia banks while chatting on her phone and the boyfriend who allegedly helped her do it, according to www.washingtonpost.com.

Loudoun County prosecutors will launch the first case against Candice R. Martinez, 19, who was transferred from the Fairfax County jail yesterday, with her arraignment in state court today. Her boyfriend, Dave C. Williams, who is also 19, is accused of acting as her lookout, will have a detention hearing in federal court in Alexandria.

The "cell phone bandit" apparently has her first copycat, a man who robbed a bank outside of Richmond this week without putting down his phone, police said yesterday.

GW student charged with sexual harrassment

A George Washington University female student is bringing charges against Student Association President Audai Shakour, saying that he sexually harassed and assaulted her, according to The Hatchet, George Washington University's student newspaper.

Shakour, under siege from student government senators who are already considering impeaching him for alleged actions mostly unrelated to the sexual harassment allegations, did not mention the judicial charges with senators and other students at a Nov. 15 Senate meeting. He also did not bring up the sexual assault allegations in an interview with last weekend.

GW's Student Judicial Services heard the case late Friday afternoon, but a verdict may not be returned until after Thanksgiving break. Penalties for sexual harassment and sexual assault range from probation to expulsion.