Five-game thriller leads to fifth PL championship

Volleyball rises from dead in Game 4, slays Army, wins PL title

There are two lessons a person would take away from the Patriot League Volleyball Tournament: Never underestimate the heart of a champion and never count out AU in a match no matter how big the deficit.

In two straight matches, AU came back from within a game of elimination to earn its fifth straight Patriot League title and trip to the NCAA Tournament.

On Friday night AU (24-9, 13-1) defeated Bucknell (17-14, 9-5) in its first ever five-game match in a PL Tournament (25-30, 30-28, 28-30, 30-28, and 15-11). Saturday night AU played and won another thrilling five-gamer (30-24, 17-30, 27-30, 30-28, and 15-6) against Army (21-7, 10-4).

In the fourth game of the championship match against Army, AU was trailing 22-10 - eight points away from elimination.

AU slowly started gaining some momentum by winning a few points. Army coach Glen Conley called timeout, possibly to slow down the Eagles. AU then continued to win point after point. A 22-10 lead had eroded to a small, 23-20 gap.

Army was able to win a few points, but the floodgates were open and Army could not stop the deluge. AU won the 20 of the last 26 points played and had won the fourth game, 30-28, to force a fifth game.

"We looked at the Army players' faces during the timeout, and we saw a panic look on their faces," senior captain Jennifer Cosco said. "We couldn't believe it. It gave us confidence. After that there was no point of return."

The fifth and final game was all Eagles. With sharp passing, great blocking, and killer attacks Army had no chance. AU made no errors and had a .471 hitting percentage in the fifth game.

"I'm speechless," AU coach Barry Goldberg said. "Our players were bold. They showed a lot of courage. This is the greatest comeback I have ever been a part of. Two straight days in a row our backs were against the wall. I don't what other kind of clich? I can use."

AU pulled another comeback the night before against Bucknell, but not in the same dramatic fashion. The games were similar in some aspects, such as AU losing tough battles to go down, 2-1, in the match but playing better as the match went on.

"Things happen for a reason," Cosco said. "Last night's game taught us a lot. I am absolutely speechless."

The Eagles played some of their best volleyball in the first game against Army. The team committed only two errors and had a .500 hitting percentage in the victory. Army easily won the second game, as the Eagles struggled.

Army took a 10-3 lead early in the third game. The Eagles drew even twice, but were never able to take the lead as Army came out on atop. What followed was the incredible comeback by AU and a dominant performance in the fifth game.

AU's attacking percentage was .275. Cutrina Biddulph had 18 kills, Brooks had 14 kills and Tara Stradling had 37 assists for the Eagles.

The Bucknell victory Friday was not the prettiest. AU shot above .200 in only one game, committed 32 errors, and 13 service errors.

The fifth and decisive game started out close, but AU went on a five point-tear and Bucknell was never able to get close as the Eagles won the game and the match.

AU was led by freshmen Chelsa Brooks and Rubena Sukaj with 16 and 20 kills respectively. Sukaj also had four aces. AU's hitting percentage for the match was .205.

Brooks was named tournament MVP. In two games she had 30 kills and a .377 hitting percentage.

Before the Eagles begin the NCAA Tournament, they will play at Temple on Nov. 26. The Eagles won't find out what team they will play until next Sunday. The NCAA Tournament will begin December 1.