Campus calendar

Thursday, Nov. 10

"Community-Based Research: Linking Academic and Community Needs" 12:30-2 p.m. Mary Graydon Center, room 200.

The faculty event will feature Sam Marullo, chair of the sociology and anthropology departments at Georgetown and cofounder of the Community Research and Learning Network of Washington, D.C., and Alex Taylor del Cid, director of policy and research with the Council of Latino Agencies. RSVP required. Contact Marcy Fink Campos at 885-7378.

KPU Presents Phyllis Schlafly 7:30-8:45 p.m., Ward 1.

Phyllis Schlafly, who played a central role in the defeat of the Equal Rights Amendment, will discuss the past, present, and future of feminism and its role in the political process. Schlafly will speak as part of KPU's forum, "Feminism: The Right and Left Perspectives." Contact Genevieve Frye at kpu@ausg.org.

Friday Nov. 11

"Milton's Paradise Lost and the Heresy of Individualism" 4:30 p.m., Ward 5.

The Department of Literature's Graduate Speakers Series welcomes Milton scholar John Rogers, professor of English at Yale University. Contact Michael Wenthe at 885-2683.

International Development Forum 4:30-6 p.m., SIS Lounge. Contact Elizabeth Minor at 885-1657.

New Plays Workshop Series 1: A Pocket Full of Grace Through 12 Nov. 8 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, Studio Theatre.

In the first installment of AU's groundbreaking workshop series, A Pocket Full of Grace will be showcased. Cowritten by Carl Menninger, the musical about a young pickpocket will later be presented at Ford's Theatre. Contact the Department of Performing Arts at 885-3420.

Saturday, Nov. 12

Dave Attell 8 p.m., Bender Arena.

The Student Union Board presents comedian Dave Attell, host of the TV show Insomniac. One ticket per undergraduate student ID; $25 for the general public, and $5 for faculty, staff, and graduate students. Contact Eric Friedlander at 885-6425.

Monday, Nov. 14

What's Wrong With Wal-Mart and How Did It Get That Way?" Noon-1:30 p.m., Kay Center Lounge.

Nelson Lichtenstein, professor of history at the University of California at Santa Barbara, will discuss Wal-Mart's role as the symbol of American capitalism and its effects on the American labor movement. Lichtenstein's new book, Wal-Mart: Template for 21st Century Capitalism, will be available for purchase at this event. Contact 885-3320.

Safe Space Sticker Training Program 2-5 p.m., location TBD.

This workshop explores the impact of heterosexism, homophobia, and transphobia on campus and in our interactions with one another. Through training and the display of Safe Space stickers, the program creates a visible and supportive network of campus community members who have basic knowledge about issues of sexual orientation and gender identity and are able to provide support and referrals. Registration required. Contact the GLBTA Resource Center at 885-3347.

"From the Eye of an Israeli Navy Commando" 6:30-8:30 p.m., Butler Board Room.

Hear the amazing true stories of an Israeli Navy Commando who later became the Jerusalem assistant district attorney. Contact Jackie Ochs at 301-455-5327.