Campus calendar

Monday, Nov. 7

Washington Chu Shan Opera: The Monkey Ring The National Theatre, 1321 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW 6 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., Metro: Metro Center

Engaging storytelling, lavish costumes and highly stylized performance characterize this rare presentation of Chinese culture and opportunity to see an ancient art brought to life by director Zhu Chu Shan, opera star Judy Huang and their company.

Tickets are free but on a first-come, first serve basis, distributed 30 minutes prior to performance. For information, call 800-447-7400.

Tuesday, Nov. 8

Exhibition Highlights Tour - Jewish Washington: Scrapbook of an American Community Noon, National Building Museum, 401 F St., NW Metro: Judiciary Square

The Jewish Historical Society of Greater Washington presents an exhibition; highlights include a guided tour and a behind-the-scenes look at the exhibition.

Admission is free. For more information, call 202-789-0900.

Women in Cinema: "Made in Mexico - The Garden of Ed?n" ("En el Jard¡n del Ed?n") National Museum of Women in the Arts, 1250 New York Ave., NW 7 p.m., Metro: Metro Center, 13th Street exit

Director Mar¡a Novaro depicts the lives and stories of various individuals arriving in Tijuana in hopes of finding a better life. Films is in Spanish with English subtitles.

General admission is $5, students tickets are $4. Reservations are recommended. For more information, call 202-783-7370.

Wednesday, Nov. 9

Local Filmmaker and Community Nights: "Brainiac" The Avalon Theatre, 5612 Connecticut Ave., NW Metro: Van Ness/UDC

Avalon's Local Filmmaker and Community Night is a weekly Wednesday night showcase of local films and community screenings. This week the Avalon features "Brainiac," a film about a federally funded drug research facility that experiences budget cuts in an experimental endorphin program, causing people to lose their lives.

Tickets are $8.50. For more information, call 202-966-6000.

Thursday, Nov. 10

Banda Travessia Columbia Station, 2325 18th St., NW 9 p.m.

Classical and contemporary Brazilian jazz and popular music performed live. This is an on-going event. For more information, call 202-543-0945.

Sunday, Nov. 13

"Global Peace through Compassion" Talk by His Holiness the Dalai Lama MCI Center, 601 F St., NW 3 p.m Metro: Gallery Place/Chinatown

The Dalai Lama, the foremost proponent of non-violence in the world, will share a deeply relevant message in a city where decision-making has global implications.

Tickets are $40, $60 or $100 (student tickets have sold out). For more information, call Ticketmaster at (202) 397-SEAT.