Women's soccer slips, volleyball back on track

AU netters gets first PL win since end of their 70-game league winning streak

From the first point of Friday evening's match, it was clear how badly the AU volleyball team wanted, and possibly needed this game.

Coming off their first loss in 70 Patriot League games, a streak that lasted over four years, the Eagles were determined to start a new streak. But it wouldn't be easy against the Navy Midshipmen, which came into Bender Arena with a five-win streak of their own.

But the Eagles (14-8, 7-1) would survive an early challenge and thwart Navy (30-28, 30-25, 27-30, 30-16) for the midshipmen's third loss of the PL season.

The first game was a ping-pong affair with teams trading points back and forth. Neither team ever led by more than three points at any point of the game. Just when it looked as if Navy was prime for a game-sealing run, the Eagles gained control late and won it with a powerful kill by sophomore middle blocker Chelsea Brooks to take a crucial 1-0 lead.

"We really came out after a hard loss," said freshman setter Christina Nash. "We wanted to come out hard and win this game."

Added AU coach Barry Goldberg: "This win was a confident booster. We knew they were going to come out firing and we're happy to come away with the victory."

After a hard fought first game, the Eagles had a much easier time in the second. AU jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead and Navy never got within three points of the Eagles, which won the game 30-25.

Navy refused to disappear, though, and came out firing in the third game. The Midshipmen took advantage of their opportunities and seven Eagle errors, winning 30-27 and forcing a fourth game.

Apparently, though, the Eagles had much more in reserve than Navy, and dominated the fourth and final game, winning it, 30-16.

The Eagles were led by Cuttrina Biddulph, Elizabeth Maloney, and Rubena Sukaj who combined for 55 kills. The Eagles also had a .284 hitting percentage for the match.

After the game the team reflected on last weekend's streak-ending loss at Army.

"I'm surprised it went that long," Goldberg said. "We've been through many tests and somebody is sooner or later your going to lose."

"The loss was upsetting. It was especially tough on the seniors," Nash said.

The Eagles next game will be Tuesday night at Bender Arena where they take on Maryland-Baltimore County in a non-conference game. This weekend, the Eagles have to go on the road again to Colgate and Bucknell.