Shooting at Avalon apartments leaves AU student injured

A resident of the Avalon Foxhall apartments in the 4100 block of Massachusetts Avenue was shot and wounded in an attempted robbery Monday night, according to the Metropolitan Police Department.

MPD spokesmen declined to comment on whether the victim was an AU student. However, Maurice Carter, Sergeant-Coordinator of Public Safety, said in an e-mail that two AU students were involved in the altercation.

"There was an altercation between a resident and a guest [in the apartment], and a gun was discharged," said executive marketing director of the Avalon, Kevin Thompson.

The victim must have buzzed the suspect in from the front door and then let him into his apartment, which is where the attempted robbery occurred, Thompson said.

The victim was shot in the foot and taken to an area hospital. Detectives are not yet releasing the victim's name because "he is a witness to the crime ... and this is still an ongoing investigation," police said.

Chrissy McGee, a sophomore in the School of Communication who lives in the Avalon, said her friend "heard a really loud noise ... then she heard a lot of screaming, and she got scared and ran upstairs."

Another student who lives at the Avalon, who wishes to remain anonymous, said the night was quiet until "it was like [chaos] just blew up."

"I went down to see what was going on and I could smell the gun smoke. I pretty much knew it was a crime scene ... it was chaotic," the source said. "I did see [the victim] get wheeled away ... I really couldn't believe what was going on. The [police] dogs were out there, and a helicopter was flying around."

Police were unable to catch the suspect, and are looking for a "black male, 190 pounds, in his 20s and with dark eyes and brown hair," said MPD spokesman Sgt. Joe Gentile.

Some in the community are wondering if Monday's incident was connected to the mugging of two AU adjunct professors in late August.

"We don't believe it was related right now, but further down the road we might find it is ... it is still an ongoing investigation," said Sgt. Rucker, a detective working on the case.

The Avalon has sent some information about the shooting to the residents of the apartment complex. They also set up a hotline for residents to call if any future incidents occur.