SG election results released

The student body elected 25 members this week to the inaugural Undergraduate Senate, the new legislative arm of the Student Government that replaces the expired General Assembly.

The election also determined the four officers of the freshman class council, which will be led by Class of 2009 President Andrew Gardner.

A record 1,081 undergraduate students voted online between 9 a.m. Monday and 5 p.m. Wednesday. This is the first year that online voting through the my.asmerican.edu web portal was made available to students from any location.

SG Secretary Joseph Vidulich noted that almost three times as many votes were cast this year than in last year's fall election and he credits the dramatic increase to the new voting system.

Five seats were left unfilled in the 30-member Senate, including three of the five senators for the class of 2006. These seats will be filled by appointment after the Senate selects a speaker to lead the body. Nine of the Senate races were uncontested.

Undergraduate Senate: (listed in order of votes received within each category)

At-large Senators (4,328 votes cast) 1) Joshua Cahan 2) Una Ann Hardester 3) Will Haun 4) Zo Tobi

Class of 2009 Senators (2,955 votes) 1) Max Rubin 2) Erika Langhart 3) Kristian L. Hoysradt 4) Erin Lauer 5) Kathryn Lapotin

Class of 2008 Senators: (1,185 votes) 1) Katie Myers 2) Charlie Biscotto 3) Joseph Collarusso 4) Patrick McGill 5) Amanda Foley Class of 2007 Senators (615 votes) 1) Nick Johnson 2) Thomas Leonard 3) Conrad Nelson Bukoski 4) Laura Reznick 5) Ricardo Da Silva

Class of 2006 Senators (450 votes) 1) Maureen Campbell 2) Robert Boisseau 3) Empty 4) Empty 5) Empty

School of Public Affairs Senator (358 votes) 1) Elliot Friedman

School of International Service Senator (257 votes) 1) Francois Goualtinga

College of Arts and Sciences Senator (450 votes) 1) Hillary Blank

Kogod School of Business Senator (75 votes) 1) Empty

School of Communication Senator (128 votes) 1) Empty

2009 Class Council: (591 total votes) President: Andrew Gardner Vice-President: Samya Behary Treasurer: Katherine C. Ryan Secretary: David Apfelbaum