North Side gets a place to play and unwind

The North Area Recreation Center opened Monday, offering students a place to go in the evenings as an alternative to homework. Located on the first floor of McDowell Hall, NARC boasts a big screen TV, a ping-pong table and a pool table, all free of charge to students.

While smaller than south side's Game and Recreation Center (GARC), NARC offers north side students a place to unwind. In addition to pool and ping-pong, NARC also has a PlayStation 2 with an assortment of video games, board games, and a stereo system free to students.

Ryan Miskell, programming director with Housing and Dining said the opening was "Mellow; not a lot of people came and it died down at midnight."

Tuesday however was much busier, with dozens of students showing up for the first weekly free pizza night.

"I will most definitely use it now that the North side has the same access and amenities as the South side," said Jeremy Taylor, a senior in the School of International Service and a McDowell Hall resident.

The project was given the green-light over the summer when an anonymous donor agreed to fund the center. Julie Weber, director of Housing and Dining programs facilitated its organization.

So far feedback has been generally positive from students who have been there. Ashley Dumbrill, a sophomore in College of Arts and Sciences and a Leonard Hall resident said she liked having a place on north side to go to, and enjoyed the free pizza.

"There are never enough ways to relax on campus," said RHA president Will Mount, who has been lobbying for a North Side recreation center for several years. "We need to be able to enjoy ourselves on campus more."

"I think the idea of having a rec room here is a good one and one that should have come to fruition before now," Taylor said.