Campus calendar

Thursday, Oct. 27

Third Annual Practitioner's Perspective on Trafficking in Persons 9:00 a.m.- 8:00 p.m., WCL room 603. During this conference, sponsored by the Immigrant Rights Coalition and the Women and International Law Program, panelists will discuss legal remedies available to trafficked persons in the U.S., international approaches to combating trafficking, and breaking into the field of anti-trafficking advocacy. Contact Monique Beadle at 504-259-5144.

Human Rights Film Series: "Sometimes in April" 6:00 p.m., Washington College of Law, room 603. In April 1994 in Rwanda, Hutu nationalists massacred nearly one million people over 100 days. The fictional film focuses on the consequences this atrocity had on two Hutu brothers. Contact the Center for Social Media at 885-3107.

Baila Tanz Ballroom Dancing Lessons BIC 104, 8:30 p.m. Ever wanted to learn to really dance? Come to free lessons!

Friday, Oct. 28

"From Colescott to Kentridge: Representation in Contemporary Prints" 7:00 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, Abramson Family Recital Hall. Eric Denker, curator of prints and drawings at the Corcoran Gallery of Art and senior lecturer at the National Gallery of Art, will speak. Contact Ignacio Moreno at x3256.

Saturday, Oct. 29

Northeast Conference on Andean Archaeology and Ethnohistory Through 30 Oct. 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Ward 1. The 24th annual conference will focus on new research on pre-Inca and Inca societies and early Colonial arrangements in the Andean world. Contact Joan Gero at jgero@american.edu.

Monday, Oct. 31

Women and Politics Institute Brown Bag Lunch Series 11:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 205. Ruth Cowan will speak on the latest research in the field of women and politics. Contact the institute at x2903.

Early Warning-Nominating System Forum 4:00-6:00 p.m., National Press Club, 13th floor. The Center for the Study of the American Electorate and the Center for Congressional and Presidential Studies (CCPS) will host this forum featuring Don Fowler, former chair of the Democratic National Committee, and David Norcross, chair of the Republican National Committee's Committee on Rules. RSVP required by Oct. 27. Contact Curtis Gans at x6295.

Tuesday, Nov. 1

American Forum: "Watchdog or Lapdog: The State of Investigative Journalism" 7:00 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, banquet rooms 2-6. Trust and confidence in the news media are at an all-time low while government secrecy may be at an all-time high. This forum will look at what has happened to investigative journalism. Contact Bettina Fisher at x2074.