Campus calendar

Thursday, Oct. 13

OSP Seminar on SPIN/SMARTS Database 1:30-3:00 p.m., Anderson Computing Complex room B11. The SPIN/SMARTS database is a central component of the funder identification process at OSP. SPIN (Sponsored Programs Information Network) is a listing of national and international government funding sources updated daily, while SMARTS (SPIN Matching and Research Transmittal System) matches investigator profiles with the funding opportunities in the SPIN database and delivers automatic updates by e-mail. Reservations required. Contact Sponsored Programs at x3440.

Yom Kippur Yoga 2:00-3:00 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 203. Yom Kippur is the holiest day of the Jewish calendar. Celebrate the day with a spiritually uplifting yoga session. No previous experience required. Contact Melissa Frank at x3322.

Friday, Oct. 14

"The American Five" 8:00 p.m., Katzen Arts Center, Studio Theatre. Enjoy chamber works by AU faculty composers Paul Oehlers, Haig Mardirosian, Jerzy Sapieyevski, Randall Packer and Fernando Benadon. Contact the Department of Performing Arts at x3420.

Saturday, Oct. 15

Second Annual Public Anthropology Workshop 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins Atrium. The department of anthropology presents a day of workshops and panel discussions that examine recent work in community and critical archeology, housing needs, transgressive sexualities and other domains of human rights and social justice. Contact wlm@american.edu.

An Afternoon of Jazz for New Orleans 12:00 p.m. - 5:00 p.m., Main quad American University Jazz Ensembles and friends will play to benefit the New Orleans Musicians Hurricane Relief Fund. Donations requested. For more information call (703) 655-2759.

Monday, Oct. 17

"From Revolution to Reform: Law and Its Practice in Russia and the CIS" 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., Mary Graydon Center, room 4. This event, sponsored by the Transnational Crime and Corruption Center, brings together key decision makers from the public and private sectors to examine the critical developments in Russia's legal, political and economic life. The conference will also celebrate the scholarship and service of SIS alumnus William E. Butler, BA '61, who recently returned to the United States after 35 years in London and Moscow. RSVP required. Contact Ryan Daviduke at x1603.

"Shared Histories: A Palestinian-Israeli Dialogue" 11:30 a.m.-1:00 p.m., Battelle-Tompkins Atrium. Paul Scham, adjunct scholar at the Middle East Institute and visiting scholar at George Washington University, will discuss Shared Histories, which he coedited. The book examines how Israelis and Palestinians understand their own history and that of the "other." The lecture is sponsored by SIS and the Center for Israeli Studies. Contact Leah Harris at x1843.

Tuesday, Oct. 18

92nd Washington Asia Forum 2:00 p.m., SIS Lounge. Yong Deng, a political science professor at the United States Naval Academy, will present "International Status and the Logic of Chinese Foreign Policy." Contact Aria Bailey at x1760.