Sports briefs

Men's soccer's drops both matches to Ivy Leaguers at Yale Classic

In the prelude to its Patriot League opener, the AU men's soccer team suffered a heartbreaking defeat at the hands of Yale on Sunday, 3-2 in overtime.

Competing at the Yale Classic in New Haven, Conn., the Eagles scored first on a goal by junior Garth Juckem.

Yale quickly tallied two goals, including one off a penalty kick before, AU sophomore Sal Caccavale netted a goal at 59:05 that tied the score.

But just 4:47 into the extra time, Yale's Shannon Brooks knocked the ball in to give Yale the victory.

The loss for AU came on a day that saw the Eagles draw 22 fouls and included four yellow cards and two red cards.

The frustrating weekend at the classic began Friday when the Eagles fell to Dartmouth, 1-0, on a penalty kick in the 69th minute.

The setbacks put the team's mark at 1-4-1 headed into this weekend's PL opener against Lafayette at Reeve's Field.

Women's soccer rallies but can't overcome early deficit at Columbia

The AU women's soccer team's struggles continued Sunday as it fell at Columbia, 3-2.

The Eagles battled back from a 3-0 deficit in the second half with goals from junior Christina Gonzalez and freshman Lauren Esposito, but it was not enough to overcome the deficit.

Once again, AU outshot it's opponent, this time 11-9, but dropped the match. The loss puts the team's mark at 2-6-0, a far cry from this point last season when it was 6-1-1.

The team struggled early in this one, allowing Columbia to dominate on offense in the first half and much of the second before turning on its own attack. After Columbia scored in the 62nd minute, the team battled but ultimately its efforts fell short.

The Eagles will try to rebound Wednesday against George Washington at home.