Sports briefs

Volleyball wins twice matches in Manhattan tournament

The AU women's volleyball team cruised to a pair of easy 3-0 victories this weekend en route to clinching the Jasper Volleyball Invitational in Riverdale, N.Y., Saturday.

In the championship against Manhattan, senior Cutrina Biddulph slammed 15 kills, while sophomore Chelsa Brooks added seven kills, one block and four block assists. The Eagles were never seriously threatened, winning the match 30-22, 30-21, 30-18.

That came after the Eagles thwarted Quinippiac 30-22, 30-26, 30-19 during the earlier parts of the same day in a semifinal contest.

In the semifinal, Biddulph smacked 12 kills, Brooks and sophomore teammate Carly Barisich combined for 14 more, and freshman Rubena Sukaj had eight.

Senior libero Jennifer Cosco was stellar defensively, scooping 14 digs.

Road split gives women's soccer its first win of the season

The AU women's soccer team finally got in the win column last Friday, but couldn't carry that momentum into the following week, as the Eagles (1-3-0) split a two-game road trip.

AU started it by coming form a goal down to thwart Maryland-Baltimore County 2-1 in Ellicot City, Md on Friday. Senior forward Marcela Ricupero scored both goals in the win, just six minutes apart, in the 34th and 40th minutes. Freshman midfielder Katlyn Miller assisted the first, while sophomore mid Siobhan Gillan assisted the second.

Jessica Young opened the scoring for UMBC just two minutes in.

AU scored twice more on Tuesday, but could not translate it into victory, as the Eagles fell at Mount St. Mary's, 3-2, in overtime.

Freshmen Katelynn Donovan and Katlyn Miller both scored their first collegiate goals for AU. Donovan struck first in the 15th minute from a Ricupero corner kick to put AU up 1-0 early. Then, with AU down 2-1 in the dying minutes, Miller scored from 12 yards after pouncing on a loose ball to send the game to overtime.

In the second minute of overtime, the Mount's Kelli Devine scored the game-winner and her second of the contest to win it for the home side. Karyn Farrar scored the first Mount goal in the 28th minute

Women's cross country sweeps

The AU women's cross country team swept the Mount St. Mary's Duals on Friday evening, outmatching five other competing schools head-to-head among their top five runners.

Senior Keira Carlstrom had the meet's top time, covering the 5,000 meter course in 18:05.88, while senior teammate Zaia Wharton had the fourth best time, 19:33.47. Sophomore Cathleen Ford added depth to the AU effort, finishing 7th in 19:59.17.

The AU men, meanwhile, defeated George Washington, Loyola and Morgan State but lost to Mount St. Mary's and UMBC.

Sophomore Kris Cruz was the men's top finisher, posting the sixth best overall time, 16:07.25. Sophomore Brian McCabe and junior Dustin Ermani finished right behind in seventh and eighth place, at 16:13.63 and