Same-named brothers finally on DVD

1993: The year of flannel, "Jurassic Park," "Where's Waldo?" and - most importantly - a new show on Nickelodeon called "The Adventures of Pete & Pete." Unlike other shows on this "children's" network (like "Rugrats", an animated show about babies which can only truly appeal to those under 10), "Pete & Pete" was live action and provided entertainment to an older demographic as well. With well-placed references, an unusual musical selection and a distinct surrealism, the show quickly dominated the arena of new programming focused on kids outgrowing animated lunacy and looking for something a little closer to reality.

Luckily, Nickelodeon has caught on to the fact that the older kids who watched these shows in the '90s are now even older and looking to round out the nostalgia section of their DVD collections.

The first season of "Pete & Pete" is now available on two discs with eight normal weekly episodes, four half-hour "specials" and a number of shorts. There are even a few episodes with audio commentary for extremely avid fans. The only thing to take issue with about the DVD is the previews of "Spongebob Squarepants" and "Lemony Snicket" that need to be fast-forwarded.

Beginning in 1989 with a number of one-minute shorts between programs, "Pete & Pete" has always been about two brothers that are both named Pete and their wacky adventures. Besides Little Pete and Big Pete, there was a cast of regular characters and then a seemingly never-ending array of minor players that appeared in one or two episodes at most.

On one level, the Wrigleys are a traditional suburban family unit. There are two normal children with two normal parents. The brothers go to school, Mom stays at home, and Dad brings home the bacon. At this point, however, the differences become apparent.

Some peculiarities include Little Pete's tattoos of a mermaid on his forearm and a warship on his back; Artie, the Strongest Man in the World (a friend and defender of young children who is treated as "mutant" by adults); the metal plate in Mom's head that picks up radio transmissions; and Krebstar, the fictional company that makes almost 70 products that appear in the show.

"Pete & Pete" was received so well by its generation because it offered a sort of believable escapism. Almost like magic realism, the brand of fiction in "Pete & Pete" didn't take you to a whole new dimension, but it did offer a slightly better and definitely more fun version of your own life.

Besides being sometimes hilarious and always intriguing, the show had something else that made it unique on television in the early '90s: "Pete & Pete" was completely indie. Musically, the show featured the music of many underground bands including the Magnetic Fields and the Apples in Stereo.

There was also Polaris, a band that existed only for the show and plays through the opening credits. Incidentally, the hard-to-understand second line of the show's theme, "Hey Sandy," is the focal point of much controversy, and the band will not reveal the actual lyric to this day.

Besides that, there were many guest stars and cameo appearances including L.L. Cool J, Michael Stipe of R.E.M., Adam West and the late author Hunter S. Thompson.

Besides casually throwing around references to "Citizen Kane" and Jimmy Hoffa, the show also "looks indie." Unusual camera angles, lighting, and filming techniques give it a sort of unprofessional-looking edge.

To take an amazing trip down memory lane, or to just have an entertaining way to waste some more time, pick up season one for $20. Be on the look out for season two, rumored to be available come the first of November.