Leave fall break alone

The Administration is considering several different proposals to radically change the fall academic schedule. Beginning in 2006, all options, except Option A (the status quo) will remove at least one day of Fall Break and one study day.

As approved through Residence Hall Association Resolution 1 on September 17, 2005, the Residence Hall Association strongly opposes any fall schedule plan that removes holidays from the fall calendar. Therefore, the Residence Hall Association strongly opposes plans B, C, and D, because these proposals remove either two or three rest days from the fall academic schedule.

The Residence Hall Association recognizes two of the concerns made in "Options for the Fall 2006 Academic Calendar", namely, "Monday classes suffer from two interruptions early in the semester with no classes on both Labor Day and the Monday of Fall Break" and "The last day of final exams runs late into December." However, the removal of these breaks is an unnecessary step to rectify the aforementioned problems. Therefore, RHA proposes Option E, which begins the academic calendar a week earlier, and switches Fall Break to a Thursday and Friday. (See: "Residence Hall Association's Memorandum on Fall Break")

Removing rest days for AU students will create dangerous consequences. AU students are special and different from other U.S. college students. At any time, approximately 1,000 AU students work internships, much higher than national percentages. Compiled with part time jobs, studying and extracurricular activities, AU students find themselves working 50 - 60 hours a week to remain successful. Fall Break and study days serve as means for students to recuperate from their busy schedules, explore the District of Columbia and help prepare for midterm and final exams. Without these breaks, students will prepare less for their exams, miss more classes, and underperform in the workplace and classroom.

If any one day should be removed from the fall academic calendar, it should be Labor Day. Labor Day only occurs one week into the fall semester after a long summer vacation. Students are well rested at this point. In October and November, the college lifestyle begins to take its toll on AU students. While the Residence Hall Association does not advocate Labor Day's removal, it should be the first holiday to be removed.

Last year, when the AU Administration considered Fall Break's removal, all proposals added days for Thanksgiving vacation, in an effort to accommodate AU's international and West Coast students. Option B, C, and D do not attempt to rectify this original reason for removing Fall Break.

Creative solutions can rectify the current concerns regarding Fall Break. Whether the AU Administration selects Option E or another plan, it must select a plan that maintains Fall Break and study days. Otherwise, drastic student health and performance consequences will occur, and AU's prestige will suffer as a result.