Ladner contract questioned

"... As a condition of his employment, Ladner is required to accept lodging on University property. He shall have full use, possession, and enjoyment for himself and his family of a residence house to carry out his duties as President. All costs for maintenance, repair, insurance, utilities, telecommunications, dining, housekeeping services, and residence staff will be paid for or provided by the University. The residence will be furnished as Ladner and the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board agree. It is expected and required that the residence will be used on a regular basis throughout the year by the President for entertaining and other purposes in the interest of the University. ...

"... To assist Ladner in carrying out his duties as President, the University will provide him with full use of an automobile with a telephone, and the services of a driver. All operational expenses of the automobile, including gasoline, maintenance, repair, and insurance, will be paid by the University. ...

"... The University will pay or reimburse Ladner for the following:

entertainment and first-class travel expenses reasonably incurred in the performance of his duties as President;

storage expenses in connection with his relocation to Washington;

memberships in professional organizations, subscriptions to professional journals, and acquisitions of other professional publications;

expenses for a financial advisor of his choosing;

memberships in one or more appropriate clubs, provided such membership is offered on a non-discriminatory basis;

an annual physical examination. ...

"... For her full-time work as the University's "First Lady" - which includes managing the residence staff; planning and procurement for events; hosting official dinners, receptions, seminars, and other events within and outside the residence; representing the University to a variety of external constituencies; and accompanying the President at social, political, academic, admissions, alumni, student and development events - the University will provide the following for Ladner's wife, Nancy Ladner:

membership in an appropriate club;

expenses related to her role in conducting University business;

expenses for an automobile with a telephone, including leasing, insurance, maintenance, repairs, and gasoline; ..."

The following excerpts are taken from the 1997 contract President Benjamin Ladner signed with then-board chair William I. Jacobs, which has been under scrutiny because some board members say they didn't know about it, calling into question whether the document is legal. This contract reportedly provides different benefits than the one Ladner signed when hired by the university in 1994.

Ladner, who confirmed The Eagle's copy of the document, said the contract was legitimately decided by the board's 5-member compensation committee and signed by Jacobs and himself.

Jacobs didn't distribute the contract to board members, but he described it to them and said it was available if they wanted to see it, Ladner said.

The president is not present at discussions of his compensation, so he could not know for sure what Jacobs told the board about the contract.

Board member George Collins, who served as chair last spring and is a member of the compensation committee, told the Washington Post he didn't see the 1997 contract until a year ago.

But Ladner said that doesn't make sense.

"I have no idea what that means, because he was on the committee at the time," Ladner said.