Field hockey fends off pesky Tigers

Thankfully coaches don't get paid for pretty wins alone, otherwse AU field hockey coach Steve Jennings would need a temporary loan. After an arduous win Sunday against Towson, 2-1, nobody sees the problem more than him.

The Eagles (7-0) found another victory for the standings, but uncovered a new issue: effort. The disparity in effort from first to second half was obvious, and at one point, allowed Towson back in the game.

"Overall, effort wasn't very solid on our part," Jennings said. "I think we only had individual moments where we played very well and caused them a lot of problems."

It may have been those individual moments that salvaged the game.

Sophomore attacker Maggie Hall scored early to give AU the lead in the first half. Midfielder Javiera Villagra helped AU continue the pressure. The Eagles controlled the first half tempo and earned six of the eight corners awarded in the half.

"Overall we had the tempo of the game," Jennings said, however spectators sat uneasy after Towson scored at the 26 minute mark of the second half. Towson harnessed the game tying goal and prolonged the pressure to outshoot AU for the first 16 minutes of the second.

"They are a very emotional team, and got a lift when they scored to make it 1-1," Jennings said. "And then there were moments of pressure we had to deal with."

The absence of junior standout Camila Infante, and her sister, sophomore Denise Infante, left players in positions un-familiar to them: however the Eagles never panicked, regaining control when Maureen Daniel rifled a goal passed the Towson goalkeeper. From there on out the responsibility lie on the shoulder of the Eagle defense. The anchor, goalkeeper Allison Fayfich, shined with 7 saves on 10 shots.

"When we are aggressive, we own them, so we have to keep that style of play," Jennings said. Despite the remarks, Towson was the team that kept applying the pressure. It wasn't until the scoreboard clock read 0:00 that Towson got their best chance to tie the game.

A controversial obstruction call with one second left had Towson licking their chops for the tie. Sophomore Kelli Richards passed the ball in only to see it bobbled and lost. The timely obstruction for Towson resulted in a last second blunder, giving the Eagles their seventh consecutive win of the season.

When asked about the call coach Jennings responded, "Well, they got it right in the end, so no worries"