D.C. march remembers 9/11 events

Crowds recall day

Thousands of people marched from the Pentagon to the National Mall Sunday morning in the America Supports You Freedom Walk to commemorate the events of Sept. 11 and to pay tribute to servicemen and women.

The Freedom Walk was sponsored by the Department of Defense as part of its nationwide program called America Supports You, which, according to its Web site, recognizes citizens' support for the military and communicates that support to members of the Armed Forces.

"[The Freedom Walk] is a 9/11 tribute, it's basically a remembrance," said Air Force Staff Sgt. Eric Miller, who worked the event. "It's also so people will know the Defense Department is still here to ensure safety for everybody."

The walk began in the Pentagon South parking lot at 10 a.m. and proceeded over the Memorial Bridge to the National Mall. It ended with a concert near the World War II Memorial by country singer Clint Black.

Organizers of the walk, which was free to registered participants, expected a large turnout.

"We're expecting about 18,000 people," said Miller.

Participants, clad in free t-shirts bearing the Freedom Walk logo, said the large crowd did not surprise them.

"I knew the turnout would be good," said Julia Martin of Fort Bragg, N.C. "We all love our country and we will support it."

Martin's son, Lt. Kevin Scott Martin, is currently serving in Iraq, and her husband is retired from the military.

"We want to walk the Freedom Walk to show [the military] we're behind them 100 percent," Martin said.

Others echoed Martin's message of support for the troops.

"I'm here to remember those who sacrificed to serve our country," said 2nd Lt. Justin Hooker of the U.S. Marine Corps. "America supports [them]. Not everyone is against the war."

However, not everyone attending the Freedom Walk supported its message. Along the route, a few protesters lined up with signs, some more extreme than others. Some banners read "Bush is a liar" and some protested homosexuality. They yelled out to the crowd, angering some of the walkers, who muttered among themselves but kept walking. The march was limited only to those who registered by 4:30 p.m. on Friday, and any unregistered people who tried to join the march risked arrest, according to The Washington Post.

Some AU students participated in the walk as well. Derek Heiss, a sophomore in the School of International Service, was able to meet Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, who participated in the walk.

"I met Donald Rumsfeld and told him I appreciated the job he was doing and shook his hand and then the Secret Service shuffled me away," said Heiss.

Chee Minichino, a freshman in SIS, said she enjoyed the walk.

"It was a nice way to commemorate the occasion," Minichino said. "It was very upbeat and positive and optimistic"