Convenience comes at a cost in the Eagle's Nest

Walking into the Eagle's Nest invariably brings these three thoughts to mind: 1) That Subway smell is suffocating; 2) This new Mike Jones track makes me want to get down; and 3) Ramen isn't normally this expensive, is it? The third of these thoughts has been verified.

Ten of 10 selected products offered at the Eagle's Nest, AU's campus convenience store, were available for a cheaper price at the Tenleytown Safeway this week. The products, from Ben & Jerry's ice cream to Advil cold medicine, were between 4 and 52 percent less expensive at Safeway when purchased using a Safeway card.

Every student interviewed for this article was comfortable categorizing the Eagle's Nest as expensive, and most also said they felt the high prices were probably set in order for the Eagle's Nest to profit as much as possible.

"The prices aren't justified. They're just taking advantage of poor students," said Tim Paulson, a senior in the School of International Service. "In all honesty they're just living up to the American standard."

According to Emily Gardner, a sophomore in the School of Public Affairs, the convenience of the Eagle's Nest may be reflected in its price. "The school can charge more if students are busy and don't have time to go elsewhere," Gardner said.

According to Alberto Silva, Eagle's Nest manager, the Eagle's Nest does not take advantage of the location or the students when deciding the prices. Silva said prices are usually determined by the suggested retail price, after going through the distributor and what Silva called "various middlemen."

Silva said "[The Eagle's Nest] cannot compete with Safeway" when it comes to size or buying power, so students should not be surprised at the higher prices. In regards to the Eagle's Nest price of $4.89 for a 64 oz. Tropicana Homestyle Orange Juice, more than twice Safeway's price of $2.33, Silva said the Eagle's Nest does what it can, "as long as we break even."

Aside from price, however, another issue to consider is convenience. The Eagle's Nest is located on campus, and open 24 hours on weekdays, while Safeway is located at 4203 Davenport St., NW, and open only until 11 p.m.

As for Safeway, "it's not too convenient for me to do a lot of shopping there, considering I don't have a car," Gardner said.

For Rachel Wise, sophomore in SPA, the prices do not necessarily define a worthwhile shopping experience: "I really like [the Eagle's Nest], especially when they play music. It's going to be expensive either way, so I'm glad they add it," Gardner said.

"As much as we complain about it, we still go there, so it must not be that big of a deal," said Michael Soricelli, a senior in SIS and the College of Arts and Sciences.

Representatives from Safeway did not return phone calls for comment.