Sports breif: AU Men still swinging with a hot racket

The AU Men's Tennis team kept rolling this weekend, dominating in a critical Patriot League clash Sunday at Navy, 6-1, after dismissing St. Bonaventure by the same score in a home tilt on Friday. The pair of victories puts AU at 10-3 overall and 2-0 in a still-young PL season. On Sunday, AU dropped only the doubles point in what, on paper, looked to be an even match-up between the preseason No. 2 and No. 3 teams in the conference. AU's top two seeds, juniors Juancarlo Vazquez and Nicolas Frayssinoux, secured crucial two-set victories. No. 1 Vazquez won 6-4, 7-6 (8-6), and No. 2 Frayssinoux won 7-6 (7-2), 7-5. With the les pressure to come up almost perfect in the lower seeds, AU's No. 3, senior Juan Jaysingh, rolled, 6-0, 6-1, as did No. 6, junior Mark Doumba, 6-1, 6-3. On Friday, it was No. 1 Vazquez dropping the only point for AU, though his three-set affair (7-5, 4-6, 6-1) likely concluded long after the Eagles had already wrapped up the match. The rest of the squad made easy work of St. Bonnaventure, first winning the doubles point before winning every set of the team's singles victories. Again, Jaysingh cruised, 6-1, 6-0, as did the fourth seed, junior Sebastien Proisy, 6-1, 6-1. Perhaps the most important stint of the Eagles' regular season comes this weekend in the form of a road trip to Army and Colgate. Army, the preseason favorites in the PL, are looking to avenge a second-place finish at the hands of the Eagles last year. A win at home could put Army closer to hosting the PL tournament and reaching that goal. Meanwhile, Colgate has historically given AU trouble, and it beat the Eagles in Hamilton, N.Y., last year.

Women's Tennis drops two PL matches

The AU Women's Tennis team's nightmarish season continued this weekend, as the Eagles suffered two one-sided conference losses. AU, which has suffered injury problems, defections and the drama of the announcement of the program's eventual termination, is now 1-13 overall and 0-3 in the Patriot League. On Saturday, the Eagles dropped a 6-1 decision at home to Lehigh after matches were shifted from AU's courts to nearby indoor courts at a local country club. Sophomore Rachael Honig was AU's bright spot, winning her match in the No. 3 slot, 6-3, 6-2. AU's No. 1 and No. 2 singles players, sophomores Julia Colarusso and Tessa Hollyn-Taub, both lost in three-set affairs after winning the first set of their matches. Colarusso lost 2-6, 6-3, 6-4, while Hollyn-Taub lost 3-6, 6-3, 6-3. The next day, Army earned a dominating win over AU, 7-0, in which the Eagles didn't win a single set. The closest they came was at the No. 6 slot, where sophomore Brynne Ward lost, 6-4, 6-1. The Eagles continue searching for their second win on Thursday, when they play cross-District rival George Washington. Then the Eagles are bound for New York to play Syracuse and Colgate this weekend.