SC approves raise for 05-06 budget

The Student Confederation's $540,000 budget for the 2006 fiscal year was approved unanimously by the General Assembly, the SC's legislative branch, Sunday.

The budget represents a 15 percent increase since last year in funding for the SC payroll, Founders Day Ball, Spring Fling, the Artemas Ward Festival, information technology, the Women's Initiative and the class councils.

The School of Communication council received $2,500, a 400 percent increase. Only SOC and the College of Arts and Sciences have members on their councils. In the February elections, no one ran for positions in other school councils.

The budget cut funding by more than 25 percent for Eagle Nights, the Student Advocacy Center, American University Transportation Organization, and the School of International Service, the School of Public Affairs and the College of Arts and Sciences class councils.

"The [SC's Finance] Commit-tee met with nearly every single organization that received money. We asked them the toughest questions and ... we examined their past so we may look into their future," said Joe Gallina, chairman of the Finance Committee, who presented the budget to the assembly along with Comptroller Moamar Tidjani-Dourodjaye.

The committee required each organization to submit a program evaluation of its past performances, in addition to a budget proposal, Gallina said.

Gallina commended his committee members for their fiscal responsibility, which he said enabled them to "recommend the funding of Women's Initiative, make sure the senior cruise went on without a hitch, that SUB received the money it needed for one more tremendous show and that KPU had enough money to bring John Edwards"