Relay for Life back on campus

All-night event donates to cancer society

Students from American and George Washington universities' Colleges Against Cancer groups are bringing the all-night Relay for Life back to AU's campus this spring.

Relay for Life is a team-oriented event in which team members take turns walking a mapped route, usually a track, with the backing of sponsors who pledge donations to the American Cancer Society. Ninety percent of the donations are given directly to cancer research and other funds that offer immediate aid, according to the American Cancer Society's Relay for Life web site, www.cancer.org.

The Relay for Life will be held from 8 p.m. on April 15 to 8 a.m. on April 16 on the main Quad.

Last year, AU, GW and Howard University each sent teams to Relay for Life, which was held on Howard's campus. The event raised $60,000, and 45 teams participated.

This year, Ben Horowitz, a junior in the School of International Service and chairman of AU's Colleges Against Cancer group, said he aims to match or surpass the success of last year's event in donations and participation, citing a goal of 60 teams.

The top university last year was Yale University, with a total of $104,793, according to the Relay for Life web site.

So far, 37 teams have signed up for the event and $10,000 has been raised. Since 1985, when Relay for Life began, events held around the nation have garnered more than $1 billion in donations for the cancer society.

Horowitz says it's "surprisingly easy" to sign up for the event and gain sponsorship.

"We try to encourage $100 per person, [and] everything can be done online," he said. Mass e-mails for sponsorship are encouraged and can be created through the event Web site, www.acsevents.org/relay/augwrfl. When visiting the web site, students agree to a waiver that brings them into the site to sign up as an individual, a member of an existing team or as a team captain who creates a new team.

Not only does Relay for Life raise money for cancer aid and research, it also celebrates solidarity among those whose lives have been touched by cancer and creates hope for new solutions, Horowitz said.

The all-night program offers the walking event, games, karaoke and live entertainment, including a DJ and performances by bands yet to be announced. At 11 p.m., these activities will pause for a ceremony to honor all who have felt the effects of cancer. This sober event will be followed by Midnight Madness, in which the performances and activities resume for the rest of the night to provide upbeat inspiration and hope after remembering those who have been lost.

Horowitz works with a team of students to coordinate the event. Katie Bassler, a junior in the School of Public Affairs, is the team recruitment chair. Students can contact Bassler with any questions about participation or the event.

The Relay for Life became the American Cancer Society's signature event 19 years ago to raise money for cancer research and provide support for families of victims and survivors of cancer.

For further information concerning the American Cancer Society, visit www.cancer.org.