Metro Brief: D.C could go smokefree in workplaces

Several D.C. councilmen introduced an act on March 10 that would prohibit cigarette smoking in all public indoor places, including restaurants and bars.

The Smokefree Workplaces Act awaits a decision by the Committee on Government Operations before the full council will vote. A similar bill failed in 2004.

Several organizations are strong supporters of the act, including the American Cancer Society, Smokefree D.C. and the National Coalition for LGBT Health. According to the American Cancer Society's website, nonsmoking bar and restaurant workers have a 30 percent higher risk of lung cancer than all other nonsmokers. Smoking in the work place also creates a concern for the gay community according toDavid Mariner, a representative for the National Coalition of LGBT Health.

"This is to protect everyone, not just the LGBT community," he said. "The LGBT community are disproportionately smokers because they have been historically targeted by the tobacco industry."

According to the National Coalition for LGBT Health, several other LGBT advocacy groups are also supporting the act, including the Whitman Walker Clinic and the Mautner Project. The District's two gay councilmen have taken positions on the act, according to the Washington Blade.

Opponents to the act fear the ban on smoking would cause a negative effect on the city's bars and restaurants, according to the Washington Blade. Councilman Carol Schwartz chaired the committee that rejected the earlier act and continues to oppose the ban.

Cigarette smoking has already been successfully banned in workplaces in cities such as New York City and more locally, Montgomery County, Md. The Maryland cities of Rockville, Takoma Park, and Gaithersburg have also implemented smoke-free restaurant laws.

Connecticut resident and AU freshman Emily Venturato has seen the ban enacted her state."

There was a lot of disgruntled business people and it's been especially hard on bar and nightclub owners," she said. "Restaurant business went down initially, but then it increased because more families came. I think it's a stupid law though, because there doesn't seem to be a way to enforce it"