Campus brief: AU campus gets a facelift

Members of the AU community, including faculty, staff and students, participated in Campus Beautification Day Tuesday around campus.

Participants did various forms of landscaping around the grounds of AU, including planting flowers, sodding grass and doing general campus cleanup.

Various student clubs and organizations have adopted spots on campus to clean and do various sorts of yard work. One group previously adopted a spot called "Sarah's Garden" in honor of a former staff member who passed away.

According to the Office of the Vice President of Campus Life's Web site, "[Campus Beautification Day] is a day for campus clean-up, landscaping, and most important, strengthening our community by bringing together students, faculty, and staff to work on common goals."

The day is traditionally held the week before Freshman Preview Day. Members of AU's admitted Class of 2009 will visit Friday to admire the work of those who participated in Campus Beautification Day.

Students who were involved in the project received T-shirts and free food for their work.