Art straight from the street

Joey Tomasssoni, 25, an AU graduate student, established a partnership with a local D.C. homeless shelter, the Central Union Mission, to create a collaborative art project for the shelter's residents and expand upon his main thesis, which utilizes murals and object art.

Tomasssoni lived in Central Union Mission for four days. He brought his painting supplies and sketchbooks with him to create murals with the four Mission workers who worked with him.

"The men who are working with me have artistic backgrounds," Tomasssoni said. "The other two provide such great chutzpa."

More than 30 workers of Central Union Mission help residents get back on their feet through worship, education, food and shelter. The shelter's employees also reside at Central Union Mission with the hundreds of homeless they serve.

Through his art, Tomasssoni said he wants to bridge the gap between art as a life experience and quality form taught to him over the years by various teachers and institutions.

"I believe that art can have a life-changing affect on individuals and society," Tomasssoni said. "So much of art today is concerned only with what will profit financially or intellectually."

Tomasssoni said he expects to finish all four murals by the beginning of May.