Opinion: Before cutting teams, AU should have asked students

As you may have heard, American University's Athletics Department announced that Men's and Women's Tennis and Men's Golf will be disbanded at the end of the year. There was no prior warning of this decision, and the players seemingly have no recourse. The University should not have the ultimate authority to disband student athletics without some form of student review.

The students who play these sports are understandably aggrieved and enraged at this decision. Our fellow students have been abruptly stripped of their opportunities to play their sport for the enrichment of themselves and for the pride of our school. This surreptitious decision by Dr. Joni Comstock, director of athletics, has left our tremendously talented athletes in the lurch. Most of them are preparing to transfer in order to play their sports, but the fact remains is that they should not need to.

Patriot League champions for three consecutive years (2001-2004 for the men, and 2002 and 2004 for women), the tennis teams have demonstrated their athletic prowess by dominating the league. They have proven time and again that they have the heart to play the game. Coupled with that same intensity, they, particularly the women, have maintained the highest average cumulative GPA (3.5) of the entire athletics department.

This severe miscarriage of justice originates with the Athletics Department's poor financial decisions. Hence, the resulting $500,000 deficit within the department that has dramatically cut back on sports scholarships and some team funding. For the past few years the athletic director position has changed hands; with Dr. Comstock now at its helm, newly installed since 2003, she has in effect inherited a bankrupt kingdom. Wherever the money has been going over the past few years, it definitely does not exonerate the department's decision to terminate tennis.

I've been thinking to myself over the past few days about how AU actively promotes the idea that the student body can effect change. Why were AU's athletes denied the chance to defend their programs? Well, they issued this decision without allowing for debate prior to the announcement. Coming like a shot in the dark, the athletes who suffer from this decision are now engaging in a campus wide effort to mobilize a reversal of the decision. They call for an open dialogue with President Ben Ladner and Comstock to discuss the restoration of their programs. I wholeheartedly believe that the Tennis and Golf teams deserve that debate, and I also reiterate the fact that they should have an appeal; after all it is their right and it is fair.

Considering that AU is located in the seat of our government, how could the ideals of liberal democratic government be so grossly overlooked? One would hope that in a pseudo-democratic system, such as the one we have at AU, one would have the right to appeal any decision which directly impacts one's life. Our students were denied that right. The principle of fair hearings seems to work well in the real world, so why can we not make it applicable to AU? The Athletics Department should be held accountable for its financial failings, and the athletes should not have to suffer for its mistakes.

Therefore, the administration needs to prove to athletes, students and faculty that it is capable of proactive change. Since it knew in advance that it may not be able to support tennis and golf, it could have: A.) Allowed the teams to become financially independent and raise funds for themselves; B.) Consulted with the coaches of the teams to discuss the possibility of dissolution; C.) Given the athletes the ability and time to establish their sports as a separate entity either as a club or intramural sport. In addition, the administration needs to prove that it knows how to, as my Mom would say: "do right."

Since the news broke, an amazing outpouring of support has come from not only from the AU community, but the D.C.-Metro area as well. Tell me when was the last time AU was on TV? Thus far, the tennis team has received publicity from ABC News Channel 7 at 5, NBC and Channel 9 News, and The Washington Post is also covering this story.ÿAU tennis is an asset we cannot afford to lose. It deserves the right to be here; therefore, AU tennis should be reinstated as soon as possible. It would not be in AU's best interest to harm its reputation by getting rid of a winning team. So, it is with a full heart and a sound mind that I end with a resounding: "REINSTATE AU TENNIS!"

Ashanti Nicole Smith is a sophomore in the School of International Service and School of Communication.